chem calculation question! (1 Viewer)

blackratpoo

HSC
does anyone have 2009 independent solutions?

Q.20 HELP (a), (b) & (c).

'One suggested measure to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere is to construct 'artificial trees' in which air passes through slats wet with dilute sodium hydroxide solution. The descending solution of sodium carbonate and water is collected and mixed with calcium hydroxide, precipitating calcium carbonate and regenerating sodium hydroxide for reuse. Calcium carbonate is separated and heated to recover the carbon dioxide, for burial, and the calcium oxide recycled.'

(a) Construct equations for the reaction of carbon dioxide with sodium hydroxide and the precipitation of calcium carbonate. [2 MARKS]

(b) The atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide is currently 380 ppm (0.038%) by volume. Determine the volume of air, at 298.15K and 100 kPa, which must pass through an 'artificial tree' to deposit 1000kg of calcium carbonate. (Assume complete absorption of carbon dioxide.) [2MARKS]

(c) The main energy input in the above process is to decompose calcium carbonate, requiring 180 kJ mol-1. If the heat of combustion of natural gas is 1000 kJ mol-1, determine the necessary volume of gas, at 298K and 100 kPa, needed to provide the heat to decompose 1000kg of calcium carbonate. [2MARKS]

Thankyou if you can be bothered replying. :wave:

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
A) they basically give u the reaction

B) haven'r done PPM but will try...

C) haven't done Molar heat but will give it a crack

I hope i got this right or else this was the biggest waste of my time!!

blackratpoo

HSC
Thanks so much for your time. Your (a) and (b) were correct however your (c) wasnt according to my teacher.

You firstly deduce that 1000kg CaCO3 is 10000 mol. Then we can deduce that 10,000 x 180 = 1,800,000 kJ is required. Therefore, 1800 mol is required for natural gas.

Therefore, 44,622L.

Cheers.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
ohh yeah, part c makes sense... good to know that a and b were correct lol... took me ages to type in LaTex but nevertheless your welcome

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Thanks for taking the time to answer that man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)