chem dotpoint investigations (1 Viewer)

bubblesss

HSC
does anyone have this book? if so is it useful?
i've heard it has all the pracs so i want to make sure it's worth the money before i buy it ( it's $50).

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I got the Heinemann Chemistry Practical Mannual for $25 and it's got all the Preliminary and HSC practicals. I would suggest not buying it, $50 is too much just for practicals.

-tal-

HSC
bubblesss said:
does anyone have this book? if so is it useful?
i've heard it has all the pracs so i want to make sure it's worth the money before i buy it ( it's $50).
If you meant the dotpoint book that has tons of questions on every chem dotpoint in the syllabus, then yes, it's worth it.

All the pracs that will be tested (in the hsc external) are in it, so yeah, it's worth every cent of the $50. It's better than getting a tutor imo. Just do all the questions & know the calculations and you're set.

has answers at bob - good explanation and is to the point

tegzy26

HSC
the book is good, and will save you alot of time when it comes to the weeks leading up to the hsc (especially if you have been abit slack with your prac reports) but i suggest bringing it into class whenever you have a prac so you can fill out the materials/method etc,
although before you buy it i would ask your teacher if they can order it through the school people in my class did that and it only cost them $35

Last edited:

bubblesss

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
woah, so its a book just on the pracs?? and its that expensive?
Yesterday i saw it in dymocks for the first time. and it has all the pracs with graphs, solutions and different types of questions which they can ask in any prac exam. i wanted to buy it but it's $50...............:(

bubblesss

HSC
-tal- said:
If you meant the dotpoint book that has tons of questions on every chem dotpoint in the syllabus, then yes, it's worth it.

All the pracs that will be tested (in the hsc external) are in it, so yeah, it's worth every cent of the $50. It's better than getting a tutor imo. Just do all the questions & know the calculations and you're set.

has answers at bob - good explanation and is to the point
no actually it's a different book. its just filled with pracs and all sorts of questions, they can ask u in any prac xm!!!!!!!

bubblesss

HSC
marcquelle said:
really thios exists, is it for every unit and option or just the core?

cause i will buy one.
i think it had only one option. but it had all the core topics.

psyche92

HSC
Dotpoints is the most useful of all useful things on the planet

Every dotpoint in the syllabus has several assigned questions to it

I don't know if it has the options though, i've been using it for prelim chemistry this year, and it's definantly what put me over the edge and got me the first place :)

psyche92

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
psyche92 ...u droped from 3U maths to General????
Yeah, i did because i cbb doing 3 unit maths, my mum's a maths teacher, and well i'm doing 13 units now as well as the compulsory Religion unit that doesn't go towards my UAI.

I'm going to do a bridging course anyway, it's not like i couldn't do the maths, i just hated my teacher and the subject in general :p

Kaatie

HSC
i have this book if anyone has any specific questions about it. i actually prefer the normal dt pt one and am considering getting the multiple choice one. i regret buying the investigations one as it just has the outlines for the pracs like headings and tables but nothing is filled in and there are no answers

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Kaatie said:
i regret buying the investigations one as it just has the outlines for the pracs like headings and tables but nothing is filled in and there are no answers
Sounds exactly the same thing with physics then, they just have all the questions your meant to look up in the internet or other irrelavent things that most of the time dont have answers which are meant to be dot point strong points.

the investigations dotpoint are overpriced and is a failure
if you want to work on prac, then have a look at dr thicketts textbook jacaranda or macquarie

otherwise dont BUY!!!

~caramello~

HSC
Kaatie said:
whats the heinamann one like? anyone know?
Its better value for money than dotpoint IMO.
It has introduction, procedure, what your results look like and discussion questions for most if not all the pracs. It covers the whole prelim + HSC.
Unlike dotpoint, it doesn't have answers and stuff @ the back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)