• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chem Mon M/C questions (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Hi, I have 3 M/C questions below. Could someone please do them for me, and tell me why that answer is correct? Thanks

Ammonia is produced using the Haber process. Which statement below is correct?
(A) More ammonia is produced by heating the reaction vessel.
(B) More ammonia is produced by adding a catalyst.
(C) Less ammonia is produced by removing CO2 and O2 from the reactants.
(D) More ammonia is produced by increasing pressure.

Which of the following reactions needs to be monitored the closest?
(A) Burning wood.
(B) Diesel used in cars as a fuel.
(C) Production of vinyl chloride from ethylene, oxygen, chlorine using a catalyst.
(D) Production of ethanol by fermentation.

What is the main cause of sulfur dioxide reaching the atmosphere?
(A) Roasting sulfide ores
(B) Burning coal in power stations.
(C) Combusting petrol in petrol engines
(D) Volcanic activity and geothermal hot springs.

shady145

Banned
HSC
for the first one i say option (d)
reason:
write a chem eq
N2 + 3H2 <------> 2NH3
according to le chatliers principles then an increase in pressure will shift to the side with the least number of molecules, thus increasing the production of NH3
other reasons for this being the correct answer are
for option a.
the reaction is exothermic, and according to le chatlier the equilibirum will favour the reactants there fore producing less NH3
for option b
a catalyst only gets u to equilibium faster, it does not make the yeild of NH3 greater.
for option c.
there is no oxygen and carbon dioxide present in the reaction. if there were then an explosion would occur as u have H2 and O2 gas at a temperature of 500 degrees
therefore leaving d as the only choice

shady145

Banned
HSC
for the second question i have no idea y one would have to be monitored more than the other because each have their reasons to be monitored according to what u want
for (a) burning wood may have to be moitored to monitor the CO2 produced
(b) same reason, greenhouse gases
(c)an exlosion may occur
(d) if u want ethanol (alcohol) then during the fermentation process u have to mkae sure the concentration of ethanol isnt too high or it will kill the yeast stopping the fermentation process.

for the 3rd question u could probably find it by searching in google or something
id chose burning coal as my first option becasue there are sulfidees present in coal and we use ALOT of coal

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I found the answers... It's from a past trial for my school.

It's D, C and D...

I'm sure the answers are correct and that the questions were red herrings... Anyone know why the answers are C and D for the 2nd and 3rd question?

Thanks

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I found the answers... It's from a past trial for my school.

It's D, C and D...

I'm sure the answers are correct and that the questions were red herrings... Anyone know why the answers are C and D for the 2nd and 3rd question?

Thanks
3rd ones just a fact, most sulfur is from volcanos and springs

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
1 is C because none of the others require spoecificproducts to be formed - A, no one cares what is produced, as long as it burns, B same - its not really monitored in real life, and D - as long as you have the right temperature and materials, it will be fine - C is teh answert because so much can go wrong - different poroducts will be produced under different conditions (ewspecially since we r using oxygen - can turn into ethanol or ethanoic acid), which is no good if there is one specific product required

3 well D is a natural source of SO2 - B and C relate to NO2 and are thus incorrect - so we have to choose between natural and industrial sources of SO2 - and to be honest, its tough, but they could justify naural causes because rosting of sulfides i believe can now be controlled via scrubbers and the like.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
1 is C because none of the others require spoecificproducts to be formed - A, no one cares what is produced, as long as it burns, B same - its not really monitored in real life, and D - as long as you have the right temperature and materials, it will be fine - C is teh answert because so much can go wrong - different poroducts will be produced under different conditions (ewspecially since we r using oxygen - can turn into ethanol or ethanoic acid), which is no good if there is one specific product required

3 well D is a natural source of SO2 - B and C relate to NO2 and are thus incorrect - so we have to choose between natural and industrial sources of SO2 - and to be honest, its tough, but they could justify naural causes because rosting of sulfides i believe can now be controlled via scrubbers and the like.
But fossil fuels contain decomposed remains of organisms. I.e. contains sulfur as it is present in proteins.

Btw, I am pretty sure it's B. I wonder how D is supposed to be the answer. (as in 3)

Last edited:

Jeidor

HSC
1) D. le Chatelier's Principle
2) C. Production of vinyl chloride is an industrial process. Hence monitoring for maximum yield is important as well as explosions etc. D in this question would also require such monitoring but not to the extent that C would require.
3) D. conquering chem says so.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
1) D. le Chatelier's Principle
2) C. Production of vinyl chloride is an industrial process. Hence monitoring for maximum yield is important as well as explosions etc. D in this question would also require such monitoring but not to the extent that C would require.
3) D. conquering chem says so.

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/airquality/publications/sulfurdioxide.html said:
About 99% of the sulfur dioxide in air comes from human sources. The main source of sulfur dioxide in the air is industrial activity that processes materials that contain sulfur, eg the generation of electricity from coal, oil or gas that contains sulfur.
The Australian government strongly disagrees. (B) would be the most consistent with their information.

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
That'd be right then, because the teacher who wrote it loves that book. lol
lol it may have been correct back when the book was published but we burn more coal than ever now and as study freaks research shows, the australian government thinks otherwise to, or perhaps the research study freak has done is information about Australia's usage of coal, and since we dnt have many volcanoes it would be b if we were talkin about Australia but we need global statistics, i dunno if there are even active volcanoes in australia atm. i dnt think this is a very good qestion as there are many changing factors. just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)