chem/phys b6 difficulty (1 Viewer)

tito981

HSC
Would anyone know how many students get 95+ in chem and phys each year?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There were 1354 band 6's for Chemistry in 2020. If we want to consider the number of students who specifically achieve a mark of 95 and above in Chemistry, I believe it would be safe to assume that this number is lower than 1000 students.

There were 1009 band 6's for Physics in 2020. I think that if we are trying to determine the number of students who specifically achieve a mark of 95 and above in Physics, I believe it would be safe to suggest that this number is lower than 750 students.

I hope this helps! :D

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Really depends on the difficulty of the paper and how much of a prick NESA wants to be when selecting a marking guideline for each question to better suit the bell curve.

icycledough

HSC
I think the better thing to consider would be the number of Band 6s in your cohort each year, as you have no control over how well other cohorts will perform, however, by everyone in your cohort helping each other out, there could be extra Band 6s attained. For example, in my cohort from my school, we would get an average of 60 Band 6s for Chemistry, which allowed me to aim for an internal rank better than this to make sure I could get a mid to high Band 6 in Chemistry.

notme123

HSC
this will become a big shock but last year, if you check the raw marks database, the person who got second in the state for physics got a 95 raw mark which aligned to a 98, so depends on what you're aiming for, 95 raw or aligned?

tito981

HSC
I think the better thing to consider would be the number of Band 6s in your cohort each year, as you have no control over how well other cohorts will perform, however, by everyone in your cohort helping each other out, there could be extra Band 6s attained. For example, in my cohort from my school, we would get an average of 60 Band 6s for Chemistry, which allowed me to aim for an internal rank better than this to make sure I could get a mid to high Band 6 in Chemistry.
Ye i have looked at previous cohorts, and they tend to get between 5-7 95+ for chem, have no clue for phys tho, i was just wondering what would it be respective to the state in terms of placement.
this will become a big shock but last year, if you check the raw marks database, the person who got second in the state for physics got a 95 raw mark which aligned to a 98, so depends on what you're aiming for, 95 raw or aligned?
ye i meant aligned, 95 raw is a bit too hard.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Somewhere around 97 is usually the start of the state ranks (top 20) for chemistry. So getting a 95 plus is essentially like almost getting the state rank so there is probably not that many people. Can't really compare a 90 band 6 vs 95 band 6, because of the way the HSC mark is determined. As getting a 90 might mean you need a 80 raw for example and a 95 might be like getting a 91 or 92 raw on avg. so the difficulty at getting the higher HSC marks increases quite rapidly until basically the raw = the aligned

may22

HSC
60 BAND 6'S?! There are 10 people in my whole class, oh my God

yanujw

HSC
Looking at Talent 100 data, 7.8% of phys students get 90+, but 0.8% get 95+, so expect 1 95+ for each 10 scores of 90+ in physics.
10.5% of chem students get 90+, but 0.8% get 95+, so expect 1 95+ for each 10-15 scores of 90+ in chem. All numbers here are HSC marks btw.

I think it's safe to conclude that it's pretty much top 100 in the state for both. You would have to really be on your game.

icycledough

HSC
60 BAND 6'S?! There are 10 people in my whole class, oh my God
Haha yh that's over the last 5 years, so it's a pretty safe bet. I mean we did have a big chemistry cohort (bit less than 130, I think)

may22

HSC
Haha yh that's over the last 5 years, so it's a pretty safe bet. I mean we did have a big chemistry cohort (bit less than 130, I think)
Wow, that's about 2.5 times the size of my grade...my school is small haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)