chem prac-year11 (1 Viewer)

nat246

HSC
N/A
hey
i have got a prac in a few weeks where we have to separate a mixture. what techniques and order would be used. the components of the mixture are copper sulfate, wax and sand and marble chips.
thanks!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Shouldn't your teacher at least tell you what separation techniques are used? Our teachers even write our Aim, Hypothesis, Materials Required and Procedures up for us.

nat246

HSC
N/A
Separation techniques include: decanting, evaporating, filtering. The aim and equipment needed are already given :) we need to write a method.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Then why ask what techniques are needed? I'm not quite following.

dpospination

HSC
i remember doing sumfing similar in year 10. we crushed the stuff up with mortar and pestle, mixed it with an sulfuric acid to produce copper sulfate, then decanted the rest of the solid waste out, then used electolysis on the liquuid to get the copper out, made the room stink, hard to breathe with all the CO2

beentherdunthat

HSC
^^^ LoL not the same thing ;)

--- anyways first of all, cant you seperate the marble chips from the rest of the mixture through seiving?

aiment

HSC
i have a similar prac for chemistry to also due in a few weeks time. we also have to separate mixtures like salt sand,water. i guess the techniques that u would use for these are filteration, evapouration, seiving ect.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Our first prac was the gravimetric analysis, we used Calcium Carbonate, salt and water. We used filtration to get the calcium carbonate, and then evaporation to get rid of the water.

bored of sc

HSC
Aerath said:
Our first prac was the gravimetric analysis, we used Calcium Carbonate, salt and water. We used filtration to get the calcium carbonate, and then evaporation to get rid of the water.
Same, except instead of using calcium carbonate we used silicon dioxide (sand).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)