Chem Qs (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Stupid chem assignment!

I have got a chem assignment that I need to do but I cannot get some info that are necessary for this task.

If you look at the glucose molecule, is it the intramolecular force that holds it or intermolecular force?

I think it is a intramolecular force that holds the glucose together. But in saying that, I am not 100% sure.

lolokay

HSC
Re: Stupid chem assignment!

intramolecular = within the molecule (eg C to O)

intermolecular = between molecules (eg one glucose molecule to another)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

lolokay said:
intramolecular = within the molecule (eg C to O)

intermolecular = between molecules (eg one glucose molecule to another)
Yep. Thanks for clarification.

By the way, anyone knows of a good website where I can view the atomic size for all elements and ions?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Anyone? I really need more info...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Calculate the heat released from the metal if 100ml of water increased temperature from 25 to 35 degrees celsius.

My working out is like the following:

q = m x c x triangle T
= 100 . 4.18 . 10
= 4180.

I don't know if I am right or not. Can anyone give me the units for the answer I found?

lolokay

HSC
q is energy so you would expect the units to be joules - and the expression backs this up: mass*energy per gram per degree*number of degrees

bubblesss

HSC
lyounamu said:
Calculate the heat released from the metal if 100ml of water increased temperature from 25 to 35 degrees celsius.

My working out is like the following:

q = m x c x triangle T
= 100 . 4.18 . 10
= 4180.

I don't know if I am right or not. Can anyone give me the units for the answer I found?
heat released = 100/1000 x 4.18 x 10to the power 3 x 10 =4180 joules

yes ur correct

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
q is energy so you would expect the units to be joules - and the expression backs this up: mass*energy per gram per degree*number of degrees
So, I am right, I guess? (on my calculation)

Thanks for the clarification.

On another note, can anyone tell me the benefits of repeating the experiment a minimum of 3 times.

I have got few ideas in mind but if someone could provide me with few more, it will be awesome. Thanks in advance.

bubblesss

HSC
lyounamu said:
So, I am right, I guess? (on my calculation)

Thanks for the clarification.

On another note, can anyone tell me the benefits of repeating the experiment a minimum of 3 times.

I have got few ideas in mind but if someone could provide me with few more, it will be awesome. Thanks in advance.
benefits of repeating an experiment would be to increase the reliability and accuracy of ur experiment. is that wat ur after?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bubblesss said:
benefits of repeating an experiment would be to increase the reliability and accuracy of ur experiment. is that wat ur after?
Ah~~~ I was hoping for other benefits.

bubblesss

HSC
lyounamu said:
Ah~~~ I was hoping for other benefits.
are u asking for benefits of a general chem experiment? or specific? because different experiments have different benefits.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
How do we calculate polarity of a subtance, say water?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bubblesss said:
are u asking for benefits of a general chem experiment? or specific? because different experiments have different benefits.
Sorry for being misleading. I was asking for benefits of repetition for experiment to calculate the specific heat capacity of different metals.

bubblesss

HSC
lyounamu said:
Sorry for being misleading. I was asking for benefits of repetition for experiment to calculate the specific heat capacity of different metals.
ok i get it well the need for rpeating is because during your experiment there may hav been a loss of heat to the environment or heat may have been absorbed from the surroundings. by repeating we cam get a more accurate value of specific heat. hope i helped.

lolokay

HSC
lyounamu said:
How do we calculate polarity of a subtance, say water?
I think it's measured by placing the substance between the plates of a capacitor and then measuring the change in the electric field of the capacitor (caused by the lining up of the molecules so that +ve end faces -ve capacitor plate, -ve end faces +ve capacitor plate) then do some calculations of how many moles of the substance there are and whatever else and you get the polarity

also, if you know the geometric structure of the molecules, and the electronegativity of the elements you could make a theoretical calculation

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

lyounamu said:
Yep. Thanks for clarification.

By the way, anyone knows of a good website where I can view the atomic size for all elements and ions?
Periodic Table

Click each element to see the atomic size.

You can type the ion you want in search.

lolokay

HSC
we most likely don't, but no harm in learning it anyway

undalay

HSC
A general polarity of any molecular can be estimated relatively accurate by looknig at the shape of the molecule, and the difference of electronegativity between bonding atoms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)