CHEM SSP whos comming? (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
who else is doing the chem ssp? you shouldve got the letters of invitation yesterday in your usyd email account. check it now if your not sure.

just want to know who i'll be studying with (and might be spilling acid over)

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
what a cunt. i wonder why i didnt get an invite

SeDaTeD

HSC
I got an invite but I'm not that interested in chem. Worth the extra work?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
SeDaTeD said:
I got an invite but I'm not that interested in chem. Worth the extra work?
depends... if u r a real chem freak then yes... other wise, no...

first yr chem ssp offers no advantage other than special lab sessions... u get to do awesome lab sessions as contrast to normal/adv pplz...

2nd yr ssp however, has it's whole structure changed...

did i mention u get marked for lab as well!? so harder lab = lower lab mark = lower grade...
jk jk... lots of fwnds who did ssp also managed hd... so do not be intimidated...
just that math ssp actually tops u marks, which is a plus....

SeDaTeD

HSC
I'm definately doing maths ssp. I got 94 for chem, I understand and learn it pretty well, but I'm not a real chem freak haha. Is there only a specific time for the chem ssp lab session? Because I just moved my allocated chem prac so I could fit in maths ssp, and if chem ssp requires me too give that up, then no thank you.

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
dark_angel said:
UAI> 98.7 HSC chem> 90th percentile i.e >90 scaled

yeah i know mate, thats why its a mystery i didn't get an invite.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
I'm definately doing maths ssp. I got 94 for chem, I understand and learn it pretty well, but I'm not a real chem freak haha. Is there only a specific time for the chem ssp lab session? Because I just moved my allocated chem prac so I could fit in maths ssp, and if chem ssp requires me too give that up, then no thank you.
i wish i was a maths freak :vcross:

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
dingding said:
yeah i know mate, thats why its a mystery i didn't get an invite.
how did you go in your other subjects btw?

i only got 87 the first time i did chem

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not applying because:
- I don't do chem
- I wouldn't get in
- I'm not interested anyway
But next year if I overload first year chem over the top to get rid of some compulsory free electives I might apply.

tennille

HSC
withoutaface said:
I'm not applying because:
- I don't do chem
- I wouldn't get in
- I'm not interested anyway
But next year if I overload first year chem over the top to get rid of some compulsory free electives I might apply.
You don't apply for Chem SSP, you get invited to do it.

zeropoint

HSC
On the other hand, Prof Hunstead from the school of physics told me there are special entry forms for non-faculty entry to Physics TSP, which will be handed out early in the semester. I'm not sure if this is true of chemistry however.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Tennille said:
You don't apply for Chem SSP, you get invited to do it.
oh really? things sure have changed... last yr we had to go to a special lecture and u apply for it and they post a list of pplz who got in...

tennille

HSC
xiao1985 said:
oh really? things sure have changed... last yr we had to go to a special lecture and u apply for it and they post a list of pplz who got in...
Oh ok...in the handbook it says it's by invitation. :)

funking_you

G'day,

You CAN apply for entry into the TSP programme, to do this you must seek special permission from A/Prof Anthony (Tony) Masters, who you will find in room 459 in the School of Chemistry.
He is the Science Faculty's TSP coordinator, and also the guy who looks after the SSP Chemistry Program.

Entry into CHEMISTRY TSP (hence entry into the SSP unit of study) is very limited, if you meet the prerequisite for it (98.7 and 90 HSC Chem mark...which is 94th percentile just abouts), you get the letter, if you JUST missed this UAI (98+), read on to see what you can do. (If your HSC Chemistry mark is <90, you will not be successful). This man is NOT negotiable.

HOWEVER, physics people are MUCH nicer, if you didn't get invited into the PHYSICS TSP program, but have a VERY good UAI (98+) and 90+ HSC mark, and have 4u maths under you belt, then contact Prof. Dick Hunstead.

Best thing is to email the respective person;
Prof. Hunstead: rwh@physics.usyd.edu.au (Physics TSP)
A/Pros Masters: T.Masters@chem.usyd.edu.au (Chemistry TSP/SSP)

If you would like to be considered for entry you will need special permission from them. in the email send them your;
  • FULL NAME
  • Student ID (SID)
  • Short message asking for special permission to enter course
  • Tell them your exact UAI and your Science HSC Marks (inc. maths if you want)

They HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR ACADEMIC RECORD, which has your uai and hsc marks on it, so don't lie to them, once they get your email, they will check your record and decided whether or not you merit entry, they will email you back if your successful most likely, or if you think you deserve entry based your your academic record, go see them the day after you send the email.

Prof. Hunstead: Room 567 Physics Annex (which is in building behind the main physics building) (Physics TSP)
A/Pros Masters: Room 459, School of Chemistry

Best of Luck,
George

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
dark_angel said:
i wish i was a maths freak :vcross:
Me too. Any ways to get into TSP to do logic, number theory and coding theory in first year, despite been massively under the UAI cutoff? I guess not.

As for chem ssp, hopefully I'll get a good mark in CHEM1901 and they'll invite me in second semester (if possible). Otherwise, as xiao said, it offers no distinct advantage in terms of marks as opposed to maths ssp, so I guess not that much of a loss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)