chem (1 Viewer)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
hey i was doing my chemistry homework and was wondering if anyone, anyone can name these 2 compunds that igot stuck on thanks!

Sr(OH)
2 ( the 2 is like to the base of the brackets and

NH OH
4 like does anyone know what the OH IS meant to be thanks!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The first one is Strontium Hydroxide,

jims

HSC
NH4OH is ammonium hydroxide. OH is the hydroxide radical.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jims
NH4OH is ammonium hydroxide. OH is the hydroxide radical.
Thats what I thought it was but I wasnt sure if the 4 was at the base of the Hydroxide or Hydrogen

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i dun fink nh4 . oh exist does it?? cuz accordin to lowery bronsted, nh4 + is an acid (losin an h+ ion to form its conjugate base, nh3, ammonia), while, oh is a base... acid + base = water...

therefore if both ions exist in soln form, den i fink they would exist as:
nh3 + h2o

abdooooo!!!

Banned
LOL@ xiao1985... you type funny... what the hell is oh :p its OH man!!!

yeah well ammonian acts an acid and hydroxide acts a base if you react them. so to form NH4OH, the reaction must acheive some sought of equilibrium which is does in any reaction but to differing extends. and this two ions must be insoluble to certain extends as well in a aqueous medium or whatever... so NH4OH is possible but just not in any large amounts even though they will react mostly, this is because every reaction is an equilibrium and nothing dissociates completely. :)

victorling

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *girl04*
hey i was doing my chemistry homework and was wondering if anyone, anyone can name these 2 compunds that igot stuck on thanks!

Sr(OH)
2 ( the 2 is like to the base of the brackets and

NH OH
4 like does anyone know what the OH IS meant to be thanks!

strontium hydroxide
ammonium hydroxide

OH = hydroxide ion

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
LOL@ xiao1985... you type funny... what the hell is oh :p its OH man!!!

yeah well ammonian acts an acid and hydroxide acts a base if you react them. so to form NH4OH, the reaction must acheive some sought of equilibrium which is does in any reaction but to differing extends. and this two ions must be insoluble to certain extends as well in a aqueous medium or whatever... so NH4OH is possible but just not in any large amounts even though they will react mostly, this is because every reaction is an equilibrium and nothing dissociates completely. :)
nah, equilibium is only reached when there is a reversible reaction, whereas neutralisation is one way, not reversible... there fore it will not reach equilibrium...

but on an other hand, water do self ionise itself... (lolz at self, durin my tuition, i made a big fuss abt this... =p) and yes, i do agree dat NH4OH (aq) exist, but only in negligible amount...

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by xiao1985
nah, equilibium is only reached when there is a reversible reaction, whereas neutralisation is one way, not reversible... there fore it will not reach equilibrium...
lol. again this is like saying something is pure. what is pure? if one molecule of impuritive is in the solution that not suppose to be there is it still pure?

every reaction is an equilibrium. there is no such thing as 100% one way traffic, we say there is because the back reaction is in such a small amount or the equilibrium constant, k is really high... so we neglect it. :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lol. again this is like saying something is pure. what is pure? if one molecule of impuritive is in the solution that not suppose to be there is it still pure?

every reaction is an equilibrium. there is no such thing as 100% one way traffic, we say there is because the back reaction is in such a small amount or the equilibrium constant, k is really high... so we neglect it. :)
wow!!! *xiao thinks* "is this guy an olympiad*??

yea, true, i c wut u r sayin... =p so NH4OH would exist, just in negligible amount...

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
I think she/he got that from industrial chemistry, where I believe they learn about equ constants (Which should've stayed in the core syllabus...stupid BOS)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
why are you cold? so what if im doing it again... does that make you cold?
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
I think she/he got that from industrial chemistry, where I believe they learn about equ constants (Which should've stayed in the core syllabus...stupid BOS)
ahhh my secret... noooo.

you don't actually learn anything apart from whales and stuff from industrial chem they give you the formula for an equilibrium expression you just substitute and use the calculator. :)

if you're interested in equilibrium chemistry should read a book on it for uni or whatever... i got this book called "chemistry: modern analytical chemistry" quite good book so far after some readings.

me ordered silbeiberg's chemistry as well recommended by phenol LOL... its 100 bucks man... at least usyd is using it for chem... so yeah have to get it eventually.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
why are you cold? so what if im doing it again... does that make you cold?
ahhh my secret... noooo.

you don't actually learn anything apart from whales and stuff from industrial chem they give you the formula for an equilibrium expression you just substitute and use the calculator. :)

if you're interested in equilibrium chemistry should read a book on it for uni or whatever... i got this book called "chemistry: modern analytical chemistry" quite good book so far after some readings.

me ordered silbeiberg's chemistry as well recommended by phenol LOL... its 100 bucks man... at least usyd is using it for chem... so yeah have to get it eventually.
Hmm, ahh well I did Biochem actually, but this tutor I had for a little while taught us equilibrium constants anyway. He deemed it important and I can see why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)