CHEM1011 vs CHEM1031 (1 Viewer)

findsome1

HSC
Hi,

I was trying to decide which course to choose between CHEM1011 and CHEM1031. Which course would you advise, considering that I got 88 in chemistry in the HSC and intend to do the GAMSAT? Also is CHEM1031 really hard, or is it doable with effort?

Thanks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well you're good at Chemistry, so take CHEM1031 - the Higher version.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Of course it's worth it. Scaling compensates you, in a sense. Plus, you learn more things. The extra content is worth like 10-15% extra anyway, maybe.

HSC
Well I guess how hard did you have to work to get that 88 for high school chemistry? Uni chemistry (I found anyway) was a pretty big step up from high school chemistry. You're covering more content in a smaller time frame. You had a whole year to learn your content, now you're facing 13 weeks, with the first 2-3 weeks being revision of what you covered in high school, the rest is all new.

Depends what electives you want to take in later years as well. If you already know what your plan is going to be, and some classes require 1031 + 1041, then take it. If you really like chemistry and don't find it a stressful subject, take it. However, if you found you had to work your ass off in high school, expect more of the same and stick with 1011.

To be honest, everything is doable with effort. Just depends how motivated you are.

See if you can find course outlines for both subjects, read through them, and maybe go talk to the professors/teachers on advisory day I guess.

plasticities

HSC
Well I guess how hard did you have to work to get that 88 for high school chemistry? Uni chemistry (I found anyway) was a pretty big step up from high school chemistry. You're covering more content in a smaller time frame. You had a whole year to learn your content, now you're facing 13 weeks, with the first 2-3 weeks being revision of what you covered in high school, the rest is all new.

Depends what electives you want to take in later years as well. If you already know what your plan is going to be, and some classes require 1031 + 1041, then take it. If you really like chemistry and don't find it a stressful subject, take it. However, if you found you had to work your ass off in high school, expect more of the same and stick with 1011.

To be honest, everything is doable with effort. Just depends how motivated you are.

See if you can find course outlines for both subjects, read through them, and maybe go talk to the professors/teachers on advisory day I guess.
Looking at the handbook 1011 has assumed knowledge equivalent to year 11, which I did well in, but I struggled a lot in year 12 chem (getting a band 4). My plan structure says I can take either so 1011 would be best for me I assume?

HSC
I'd definitely have a chat with someone in the chemistry department if you go on advisory day, or just sending an email to someone in the chemistry department about it. I don't want to say what you should do because I'm not the teacher and I personally find chemistry to be a struggle, so I'm going to have a biased opinion and say you take 1011 :p There's some contact detail on the school of chemistry website http://www.chem.unsw.edu.au/default.html. They'll probably have better answers and have probably answered this question before as well :)

plasticities

HSC
Okay thanks, yeah I'm going on the advisory day, so I'll be sure to check then.

findsome1

HSC
I'd definitely have a chat with someone in the chemistry department if you go on advisory day, or just sending an email to someone in the chemistry department about it. I don't want to say what you should do because I'm not the teacher and I personally find chemistry to be a struggle, so I'm going to have a biased opinion and say you take 1011 :p There's some contact detail on the school of chemistry website http://www.chem.unsw.edu.au/default.html. They'll probably have better answers and have probably answered this question before as well :)
So you did Chem 1011? Does it have organic chemistry in it? And does it build upon year 12 HSC chem or is it just year 12 things over again along with a few additional things? I have no chem1031 prerequisties for 2nd year but I was just thinking that chem1031 might be better preparation for the Gamsat

HSC
I'm taking chem1011 this year, because I failed first year chemistry when I was at UTS, so no direct experience in the subject at unsw, just going by what friends have said about chem 1011 in past year and reading both course outlines. Chemistry, no matter which uni you go to will cover inorganic and organic chemistry in first year chemistry courses. Usually first semester is inorganic and second semester is organic. Chem 1011 or 1031 are inorganic chemistry topics, Chem 1021 and 1041 are organic chemistry topics.

Make sure to read this page as well to find out the differences between all the chem courses offered this year. http://www.chem.unsw.edu.au/undergrad/courses1.html

Maybe it's best to talk to current med students who have sat the gamsat and ask their opinions and what their chemistry preparation was?

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Chem1011 is inorganic chem, you build of moles stuff in high school and learn some quantum chemistry

1titanic

HSC
Well I'm doing B Med Sci and I did CHEM1011 instead of chem1031- not bothered going to those enrich lectures and the majority of my friends that do the same degree did chem 1011 too. I don't know may be chem1031 sounds more better to other students because you also get these bonus marks for the extra questions compared to chem1011. I guess if you think you can deal with it then go ahead!! But for gamsat hmm... not so sure though sorry

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol chemistry is a WAM killer just like BIOS1011. Back in my days (damn i feel old), chemistry was the worst controlled faculty. Not sure if that nick guy still teaches, but he's shithouse.

Organic chemistry gets taught all over the place in CHEM1021/CHEM1041. They talk about A + B = C, and don't even botehr telling you the mechanism. Labs are easy, but the working out + answering questions just screws your weekend up.

Seriously unless if your major requires higher chemistry, I'd avoid it like the plague.

UNSW is the bomb, but chemistry is just pure piss for your HECS debt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)