Chemical or Software Engineering? (1 Viewer)

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Im not sure about the jobs for each, but i can tell ya they are very very different from each other. Personally i'd reckon that chemical eng would be way harder. Did you do chemistry at high school + mathematics?

squance

I like cheese!!!
HSC
Kebabci Oglu said:
Im not sure about the jobs for each, but i can tell ya they are very very different from each other. Personally i'd reckon that chemical eng would be way harder. Did you do chemistry at high school + mathematics?
Yeah i did chemistry and maths.....

I really enjoyed chemistry at school and thought I was good at it ...the only thing that upsetted me was the exams which gave me the impresssion that I was bad at chem

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I do ChemE @ Sydney University. What do you want to know about it?

squance

I like cheese!!!
HSC
1). Is it difficult to study Chemical Engineering?
2). What are the different areas can people study in chem eng?
3). What are the job opportunities for chem eng?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
squance said:
1). Is it difficult to study Chemical Engineering?
2). What are the different areas can people study in chem eng?
3). What are the job opportunities for chem eng?
1) Uh, idk, are you smart? Do you enjoy mathematics and chemistry? It's basically (physics + maths)/chemistry. First year was easy. This link has some information
2) Most undergraduate courses are pretty rigid. Biopolymers and pharmaceutical production I think have their own electives though. Microfluidics is also something up and coming. Also environmental engineering and water treatment. There's more than just that though.
3) You will not have a problem finding a well paying graduate job ($55k~60k). But you will be able to travel to many countries and find employment.

HSC
jb_nc said:
1) Uh, idk, are you smart? Do you enjoy mathematics and chemistry? It's basically (physics + maths)/chemistry. First year was easy. This link has some information
2) Most undergraduate courses are pretty rigid. Biopolymers and pharmaceutical production I think have their own electives though. Microfluidics is also something up and coming. Also environmental engineering and water treatment. There's more than just that though.
3) You will not have a problem finding a well paying graduate job ($55k~60k). But you will be able to travel to many countries and find employment.
A few questions...

-I dunno about the HSC, but VCE Chem is seriously crap. It's pretty much learning about modern techniques used to extract important chemicals, ethanes etc, mixed with a lot of theory about the electron and it's influence on the materials around us. Is the chemistry that you do at uni, a lot different?? Is there a lot of memorising required???

thx for the help.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
I don't really understand what you mean. There's a lot of that stuff and you need to memorise it, and apply it, because that is knowledge. You do many practicals too however.

Cracking ethylene is a pretty big part of petroleum chemistry but I'd say ChemE will become even more attractive in the coming years as the price of oil rises and companies need more engineers and geologists to help locate previously unviable oil deposits.

Last edited:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
If you're looking at Software Engineering at Sydney Uni, be prepared to do quite a bit of maths (especially discrete maths later on) and a bit of electrical engineering.

In fact, until 2008, software eng at sydney uni was pretty much the same course as Electrical/Telecommunications and Computer Engineering for the first 2 years (I do electrical at the moment, and went through the first 2 years of uni doing the same courses as many of the software engineers).

You do heaps of computer science subjects in the new course as well (I think they're still doing Java for first year and C for second year as far as programming goes, with a bit of assembly language in the electrical components of the course...i'm not totally sure of software engineering '08 yet)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)