chemistry and physics help?? (1 Viewer)

raceryt

HSC
wats the best way to write notes for chemistry and physics? what do you find the best?
do you take notes based from the textbook, study guide, or write a summary for each syllabus dot point?
cause if i cover the syllabus dot point i dont know how thoroughly i should cover each dot point. and if i try to make notes based on the textbook, there is too much information to condense; its superfluous. which option should i take?

p.s.
you might have seen this thread in the chemistry section cause at the last minute i realised i needed help for physics too so thought it was more appropriate to place this thread here

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess you should base it on the wording of the syllabus dot points, i.e. does it ask you to identify, explain, analyse, etc?

As for the detail in your notes, it depends on your study preferences - are you able to go into the detail required for exams by looking at your notes? You can exclude many of the examples in the textbook from your notes, just read through them.

I take notes in the form of dot points & diagrams under syllabus dot points from one textbook (Jacaranda chemistry). Sometimes I refer to other textbooks or sheets from the teacher if I need to clarify something or find a better diagram. Though I don't use these other resources as much as I probably should be :S

adriano_negr0

HSC
I make summaries based on the syllabus from my class notes and bob emery's site

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
The syllabus is your bible - do your notes according to it.

Don't have more information than you need, these are supposed to be notes after all. I suggest you put down no more than 7 marks worth of info as that's the most marks any question in the HSC that phys/chem can have :)

Oh and if you're a visual learner like me, use colours to highlight important terms ^_^

msY

HSC
Im told by my teachers that the most important text in physics and chemistry, the bible for the course, is the syllabus. The syllabus lets you know what they expect you to know and what they are going to ask. Some texts have a summary of the particulars "syllabus points" at the start of a particular chapter. You should get you hands on the syllabus.

I really like the Excel books for physics and chemistry, they just take the syllabus points and expand on them, gives examples, and summarizes them. This really helps!

I believe that to do well in physics and chemistry the one most important thing you need to do is understand. If you understand a concept, like really understand a concept, you dont have to continually reference a dot point. Maybe to understand a concept will require you to push yourself, you will be a detective, you will not give up until you understand. It may take a while, you may have to look over 3 or 4 different texts books, but once you understand it makes life sooo much easier in these subjects.

Then just read of studies guides to refresh your understanding!

bored of sc

HSC
Make sure you summarise notes, get them really succinct. Less is more. Perhaps you could also create a glossary of important terms e.g. electronegativity, intermolecular forces etc.

Whatever works for you.

kiniki

HSC
my chem teacher refuses to let us make notes, since he gives up the most important/relevant notes and info on each topic we're doing (Production of Esters, Nuclear Chemistry etc not sure how your school does it) as well as a really long worksheet of questions we're expected to complete. I think you should just do heaps and heaps of questions, apply what knowledge you have to them. If not, check the answers and hopefully it'll click, like it has for me a few times. This isn't really a take-notes-and-memorise kinda subject. It's like maths, just practice practice and practice more questions. Past papers and shit.

The only reason why i'm not failing chem this year is because i went from taking papers of notes ---> practicing endless amounts of questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)