Chemistry Assignment... Help! (1 Viewer)

r.uss

HSC
Heya. I have this first hand investigation to do where we measure the reaction time of Bicarb Soda in Vinegar at different concentrations.

I've had a few test runs with it, and I'm finding that when I put, for example, 10ml of vinegar with 90ml of water and add half a tsp of bicarb, it takes about 4 or 5 seconds to stop bubbling. But when I put the 1/2 tsp into 100ml of vinegar, it takes about 50 seconds to stop bubbling.

I have a feeling this has something to do with limiting reagents, but I'm not quite sure whether thats what they want... For some reason I have it stuck in my mind that the reaction time should be much slower for less concentration, and there should be a quick reaction for the 100% vinegar solution.

I would really appreciate it if I could get some advice or thoughts on this...

Thanks in advance =)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
if the expmt is conducted correctly and observations are valid, then you could argue that 1/2 tsp of bicarb will result in a smaller conc of bicarb in soln, hence resulting in a slower reaction rate.

though to ensure the properness of the expmt, you should use 10mL vinegar in 90 mL of water, just to keep the conc of vinegar constant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)