Chemistry Bridging Course? (1 Viewer)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Is this worth doing? I was studying Chemistry in Year 11, then went overseas on exchange for a year, swapping Chem for German to finish my HSC.

I have basically forgotten everything, lol.

To do my Biology major, I need to do first year Chem and the faculty strongly advises those without HSC Chem to do the Bridging Course.

Has anyone here done this? Was it helpful? I don't want Chemistry to be my let down, so is it a good idea? (it's just I'm a bit short on money)

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

lionking1191

HSC
well at least my decision is a little easier. i've never done chem and i'm definitely doing a bridging course if i get my course. $300 isn't too bad i suppose.. and it gets you primed for uni learning so i don't see why not.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
1st year chemistry start at a relatively basic level. The assumed knowledge (as far as I'm aware) is that you know of the atom theory, the nucleus and electrons. The three types of bonds (ionic, covalent and metalic). Even then, the lecturers usually go through them quickly. So with year 11 chemistry knowledge it should be fine.

Additionally, there are duty tutors/tutors, so if there are things which you don't understand, you could always turn to them for help.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
1st year chemistry start at a relatively basic level. The assumed knowledge (as far as I'm aware) is that you know of the atom theory, the nucleus and electrons. The three types of bonds (ionic, covalent and metalic). Even then, the lecturers usually go through them quickly. So with year 11 chemistry knowledge it should be fine.

Additionally, there are duty tutors/tutors, so if there are things which you don't understand, you could always turn to them for help.
Hey, thanks for the reply. :) But I seriously don't remember ANYTHING from Year 11 Chem. :S

lionking1191

HSC
Are your parents paying for it, or you, lol?

What course do you want to do?
me. 300 isn't much if got a part time job, u'll make it back in no time

i want to do med, tho they say they re-teach you the basics in uni i think i'll be safe and just do a bridging course. i haven't even done y11 chem however, so u probably don't need one as much as i do

hahaha $300 wtf

csu bridging courses are free
i suppose they only let people who are enrolled at csu take it? do you have any info on it? free bridging courses are too much to hope for i guess :(

Last edited:

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
me. 300 isn't much if got a part time job, u'll make it back in no time

i want to do med, tho they say they re-teach you the basics in uni i think i'll be safe and just do a bridging course. i haven't even done y11 chem however, so u probably don't need one as much as i do

i suppose they only let people who are enrolled at csu take it? do you have any info on it? free bridging courses are too much to hope for i guess :(
Yeah, I did Year 11 Chem in 2006 though, lol.

I'm thinking of doing it just to be safe.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Bump.

Seriously, has anyone done this bridging course recently, or are you all artsfags, lol?

Someone must know something about it. (I mean first or secondhand experience, not the info off the site)

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
briding is a waste of money. learn about electron, neutron and proton.

great money maker for the uni, actually learn anything usefull =nil

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
briding is a waste of money. learn about electron, neutron and proton.

great money maker for the uni, actually learn anything usefull =nil
Um, looking at the lecture notes, there appears to be more to it than that. Plus, I'm an auditory learner, so it would probably help me more than struggling alone at home.

Have you actually done this course, or are making assumptions? (besides the money making thing, which I thing is true, so over priced...lol)

BigDk

HSC
Um, looking at the lecture notes, there appears to be more to it than that. Plus, I'm an auditory learner, so it would probably help me more than struggling alone at home.

Have you actually done this course, or are making assumptions? (besides the money making thing, which I thing is true, so over priced...lol)
havent done it, ive seen the outline for the course they run. its real basic.

everything is year 10 stuff.

1st year uni chem is just relearning HSC chem plus about 20% different. more calculation invovled.

whereas hsc is a bit more just rehashing definitions.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
havent done it, ive seen the outline for the course they run. its real basic.

everything is year 10 stuff.

1st year uni chem is just relearning HSC chem plus about 20% different. more calculation invovled.

whereas hsc is a bit more just rehashing definitions.
Oh, well I spent Year 10 in a rural school in Victoria and we didn't actually learn Chemistry, lol. One of the reasons I struggled with it so much in Year 11. (As well as maths, I didn't have the grounding for that either).

duck.fluff

Usyd BVSc II
HSC
You can get all the Chem bridging course notes on the web for free. You could just self-teach/read through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)