chemistry calculations (and equations)? (1 Viewer)

medicinestudent

HSC
Hey,

Does anyone have a formula sheet with all the chem calculations we need? I really struggle with calculations with things like hsc titration questions, galvanic calculations, some pH q's (when 2 species gets mixed together), ESPECIALLY ppm calculation...

Also would really appreciate it if someone could demonstrate how redox equations works

Silly Sausage

HSC
You don't need formulas for these calculations, you can't work out a titration question via simply plug and chug, same goes with electro-chemistry. You need to learn the general methodology of how to approach these questions and they will become much simpler for you.

For ppm it's usually,

leehuan

HSC
Why not just do enough past papers to the point you're exposed to every single calculation type question there is

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Why not just do enough past papers to the point you're exposed to every single calculation type question there is
This was actually kind of what I did in HSC because I didn't have a tutor for chemistry, however with the hindsight attained as a HSC tutor for a few years now, I don't think this is the most efficient way to study because it takes time to locate calculation questions in a paper, and to be lucky to find papers that covers all possible times of questions takes a lot of time. I think it is best to ask the teacher what are the type of questions one can ask, and grasp answering those common type of questions, and TRY TO APPLY CRITICAL THINKING skills to new types of calculation questions encountered.

With whatever calculation questions, there really is not a easy cheat sheet that can summarise every single situation. It is better to develop the critical thinking skills needed to figure out a solution, rather than rote learn processes. Essentially think what are the quantities that you know, what quantity/quantities are you trying to find, what equations do you know and is there any possibility that more than one equations can be equated (sort of like substitution in simultaneous equation) to find the desired quantity. But I do agree with leehuan in the sense that with everything, particularly calculation questions, you really need to practice-the more you practice, the faster and more accurate your answers will be-really a simple equation.

leehuan

HSC
Of course any band 6 student knows how to just apply what they know and not rote a method.

I can't say for sure what can be done and what not because I didn't (frequently) struggle with calculations myself. But I'm completely used to just looking for questions. It's how I studied for all of my maths papers excl. trials - picked any questions that were relevant.

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
What if your teacher is incredibly vague and preoccupied (and also hasn't taught chem in over 3-4 years...)?? Me and a friend went to some HSC lecture things last week and realised that there is a lot of content that we don't actually know, but now don't have the time to re-teach ourselves a lot of work as well as keep up with homework/assessments and study for other subjects that we are doing. Something like a general formula sheet to be able to teach myself and her the fundamentals would be a lifesaver

medicinestudent

HSC
Something like a general formula sheet to be able to teach myself and her the fundamentals would be a lifesaver
This is what i'd been hoping to find online. i barely know any formulas and my chem teacher teaches theory really well but sucks at calculations -like i had no idea ppm could be calculated with the formula Silly Sausage wrote above. I understand there's a level of critical thinking involved but i feel like i don't even have access to the basics to do the hard stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)