• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chemistry depth study please help! (1 Viewer)

avocadosandmoles

HSC
I have a chemistry depth study but we only have the next 2 weeks to design and carry out our experiment before the holidays. We need to measure how the rate of reaction (or the time taken for the reaction to reach completion) for a specific type of reaction is impacted by a factor.

I was hoping to do a precipitation reaction but I don't know which one to do and I also don't know how I would measure the time taken for the reaction to reach completion when my teacher said it'd pretty much be when the precipitate forms and for all the examples I've seen that is almost immediate. How would I measure it effectively? I saw some stuff about crosses beneath the beakers or using a light meter (which my school does have) but I'm still not sure how that would work.

has anybody done something similar? How should I proceed? Is it better to choose a different type of reaction?

iloveeggs

HSC
another reaction to do that doesn't have the time restriction is combustion - using a spirit burner to combust x amount of alcohol. you could then use that x amount to find how many mols you burnt and use stoichiometric ratios to find how long it would take to burn for complete combustion to occur.

of course its less valid of an experiment than the precipitation as there are sooo many things that can go wrong with your calculation - but in my depth study i used combustion and it gave me a great opportunity to show off in the discussion and reliability validity accuracy section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)