HSC Chemistry Exam Solutions / Thoughts (1 Viewer)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone,
Hope your preparation for the Chemistry Exam is going well

Post any predictions you have below. This is the first year of the new Chemistry HSC syllabus so it will be interesting to see how NESA will structure the new papers

Also share any thoughts or solutions for the exam

SOLUTIONS by me:

Attachments

Last edited:

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
What do you guys think chem will look like/how did you think it went?

Arrowshaft

HSC
9 marker on analysis techniques for organic compounds? Possibly asking you to compare the techniques (which would be the easiest to answer) or they’d give you multiple graphs such as H NMR, C NMR, IR and mass spec and ask you to find out the possible substances

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I said this before but anyone who has a copy of the paper after the exam, if you send it through to me I will write solutions for everyone :)

Arrowshaft

HSC
I said this before but anyone who has a copy of the paper after the exam, if you send it through to me I will write solutions for everyone :)
I will definitely send them through if I manage to obtain them.

What do you guys think chem will look like/how did you think it went?
Also Jazz already made a thread on this lol 😂. So should we move the conversation there?

Arrowshaft

HSC
You reckon that they’ll most likely opt for questions not similar to the ones in the sample questions? Because there’s a variety from there, so I don’t know how exclusive they could be.

Black Elmo

HSC
I will definitely send them through if I manage to obtain them.

Also Jazz already made a thread on this lol 😂. So should we move the conversation there?
uh hey do can u send the link where nesa says they will include 2 7-9 marker questions? thanks

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
You reckon that they’ll most likely opt for questions not similar to the ones in the sample questions? Because there’s a variety from there, so I don’t know how exclusive they could be.
i doubt it. Chemistry isn’t as varied as the other sciences. Likely the long responses aren’t going to be a copy and paste but a lot of things like k constants, titration always come up in exams. Overall, something we can’t really predict but just have to see what happens

Carl10101

HSC
I am looking forward to seeing how they structure the new syllabus exam

helpmeplz123

HSC
I think it could be considered "different" rather than "easier" or "harder" but it probably varies from person to person
There is more calculations involved now than the old syllabus right? I'd say they're a bit harder wbu?

AHafza

HSC
What is the state rank mark raw at for Chem in previous years?

Carl10101

HSC
There is more calculations involved now than the old syllabus right? I'd say they're a bit harder wbu?
I think it would vary from person to person, e.g. someone who is better at calculations and skill based questions may prefer the newer syllabus style and vice versa. I am certainly a lot more biased towards the newer syllabus though as I haven't looked too far into the previous one. Jazz probably has the best understanding of both the old/new courses

A good amount of study and preparation would be certainly be required either way, as with all HSC exams

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
@jazz519 do you think the new syllabus is more difficult than the old syllabus?
I am probably not the best person to ask on that, I would say since I’m no longer a hsc student and have been doing uni chemistry for 3 years so a lot of this stuff regardless is easy to me. So I can’t really relate to how students think in terms of the content and which parts they find hard

However, I would say this syllabus favours people who are more science inclined compared to the old one (in the old syllabus there was a lot of useless society / research style questions which aren’t true science) . Which in my opinion regardless of it seems harder to some is better, because it will prepare those who want to do science in uni more so. I remember when I did hsc Chem literally about 50% of the course was useful for uni. Now in this new syllabus I would say 90% of the course is useful to someone who wants to do a Chem degree. It will really help them in the first year of their degree

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
What is the state rank mark raw at for Chem in previous years?
It really varies each year it depending on the exam difficulty. And for this new syllabus since we don’t have data on how hard they will make the exams or how the students will respond to the new content we can’t say for sure what it will. My prediction is something 95+ will be needed

Arrowshaft

HSC
Wait haha what. I didn’t realise this was Jazz’s thread, my goodness I’m clumsy. Sorry for the confusion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)