Chemistry - general thoughts on the exam (1 Viewer)

jenorater

HSC
i thought the exam was moderate. not too easy, but not too hard. i was stumped on a few multiple choice ones though.
for the isomers qusetion, did you guys get 4?

Lauren_Melrose

~Lauren~
HSC
XcarvengerX said:
Question 17 part b isn't it? I got pH=2 somehow.

Anyway, the test is good I think. People think it was easy but when you look at the details, it wasn't really that easy.
I got 2 as my first go, but thought that it couldn't be right, so i did something else and got some other answer... god knows what was the right one though. On the whole, the test was ok. Industrial chemistry was a bit strange, i don't remember doing the prac that was asked but i remember reading about it so it was ok. Just be happy that it's over people... i know i am!!!! :D

dunno04

HSC
It is easy.
I got 30min to check

Thank god!!
Now..NO more test!!

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
haque said:
Ammonium chloride is correct-however in the ionisation equation u have to show its an equilibrium
which i did xD

emma max

Ancient Member
HSC
the test was alright...i just realised i fell for most of the trick m/c questions :( serves me right for rushing...

loved the industrial chemisrty option! 7 marks on a natural resource :D

on the whole it was alright, hoping for really good scaling though

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
omg lol i dont do chem hsc this yr ( i hope to sit for it next year 0 but ive alredy did half the course
my teacher showed me the test paper and wowo people oyu were so lucky yopu got a really easy paper :( that 7 mark ques for industrail seem really beautiful i was going to cry i hope u all get good
hopefully my paper next yr will be just as nice :)

enigma13

HSC
IMHO I thought the mutiple choice was reasonably straightforward but the Section B was laced with some tricks. Analysing why etheylene is so important....will trick a few players. I agree with others that many questions had not been asked before or alternatively were well disguised. Some students thinking they have done well may be in for a shock. This wa an easy paper to pass but a hear dpaper to do well.

Tikkki

HSC
i reckon that exam was fairly straight forward..i only found the titration part hard..i neva could do it so that explains y..

my last exam..yesssssssssssssss

congrats 2 those who finished and gud luk 2 those still 2 go

lataz ppl

sam15_

HSC
wohoo.. that exam was a killer for myself.... as in the exam killed me... UAI = - 100 million.... thankyou to all those who did well and in future will pay the government in taxes ... who inturn will pay me... this is the first exam i will have ever in my whole life failed... and i am seeing the bright side.... :)

tristambrown

HSC
im quite confident with that exam .. am worried it was too easy so the raw marks wont scale up as well as i had hoped as this exam will be the only thing that gets me into med if i actually do get there .

ringout13 vbmenu_register("postmenu_2638624", true); - dude u should haveleft q 2 as A ... dilute H2SO4 is a catalyst for ethanol from ethene and Conc H2SO4 is a catalyst for ethene from ethanol (it dehydrates) both at 180c ... ie cat A (from ethylene + water) needs to be dilute and cat b (from ethanol to ethylene) needs to be conc ... ie cat a Dilute, cat b COnc = A

Damo ... yeah i got 835mg for that q too ... i am 100% sure that is right (they wont expect that rounded to nearest 100 so 835 is definatley correct ..

Oritsuro

HSC
The first chem test I ever studied for since starting in yr11. It helped alot =]

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Lauren_Melrose said:
I got 2 as my first go, but thought that it couldn't be right, so i did something else and got some other answer... god knows what was the right one though. On the whole, the test was ok. Industrial chemistry was a bit strange, i don't remember doing the prac that was asked but i remember reading about it so it was ok. Just be happy that it's over people... i know i am!!!! :D
You get pH 2 if you worked out the pH straight after figuring out the HCl that remained in excess, which was about 0.0098 mol. However, you needed concentration, and that value is just 0.0098 mol / 70mL. You had to convert that to mol/L, which came to about 0.14, I think. That gave you pH ~0.85.

I found it sort of OK - think I may have tripped up on a couple of the trick questions, and as expected I couldn't do acidic salts, sulphur compounds in the atmosphere or industrial reactions of ethylene very well. Hopefully I managed to bluff my way through them.

My option (Forensic) was great. Apart from the fact that I hadn't a clue what glycogen was or how enzymes affected polypeptides, it was almost perfect. The 7-mark was so broad you could essentially blather at length about any type of chromatography you liked. That was a good section.

My target for all subjects is high Band 5/low Band 6, so I'm hopeful. Can't be sure of anything, though.

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
angmor said:
i did ammonium chloride for that...i dont know if its an 'experimental salt' if you know what i mean, like if its acutally obtainable in a school laboratory,,,,so might get that wrong
I am relieved someone wrote the same as me. Cause the left side the metals are basic oxides and the right side are acidic. However it can be seen that the conjuagate base of a strong acid and the conjugate acid of a weak base or something like that was used, however that explanation couldn't be used as they only allowed the one with an equation which u had to write with fucking water. MY teacher showed me the night before the exam how to do it!!!! and I forgot totally and now remember after the exam!!!!! goddamit!

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
WouldbeDoctor said:
I am relieved someone wrote the same as me. Cause the left side the metals are basic oxides and the right side are acidic. However it can be seen that the conjuagate base of a strong acid and the conjugate acid of a weak base or something like that was used, however that explanation couldn't be used as they only allowed the one with an equation which u had to write with fucking water. MY teacher showed me the night before the exam how to do it!!!! and I forgot totally and now remember after the exam!!!!! goddamit!

dont worry if you didnt get the substance right anyway. that is only worth 1 mark.
the ionisation part where you have to show the reaction of the substance in water, is 1 mark, and showing that it is an equilibrium reaction is 1 mark.

karumi

HSC
Wow HSC is OVER!!! I don't even really know how to feel ... chemistry huh? It wasn't too hard but I found it wasn't easy either. I basically studied no where near enough so I guess I'm happy I can (try) to answer most questions although I left 2 questions unfinished cause I ran out of time. The Haber Process question about its significance in world history I knew off by heart so it's great they put it in. I took a guess that they will ask it this year and they did! Shipwrecks was also alright. Didn't know much about restoration process though so basically just bullshit my way through. Overall it's alright but I wish I had studied more, I really didn't do as well as I could have. Plus there were a lot of hard equations (well at least I couldn't do them anyway ...) It took me awhile to calc heat of combustion in the multichoice and that's only 1 mark! >.< All I can hope for now is that the good results will come in the mail. ^o^

Bye Bye HSC and school life FOREVER!!!! XD

Cade

HSC
OMG u ppl actually think that the paper was easy?? damn it..i somehow died halfway in MCQ part. damn the calculations...i completely got tricked..not to mention simply shooting them off the papers. Section B was ok i guess, but the questions are SO different from other years? wth man..thank god ther's industrial chem to save me... and wats wid naming an acidic salt? :confused: i totally blanked out on that..bah..
overall the paper was neutral....i hope they scale up on it!!! :haha:

iamsmall

HSC
i started to get pissed during the exam.
all the points i studied extensively the night before. . . .was not asked as a question . . .
eh.

suzieee

HSC
Trebla said:
It was alright, but at the same time it was an annoying exam.
The multiple choice questions were quite tricky (e.g. For the Glucose question, did you remember it was a condensation polymer so you had to subtract masses of 4 water molecules? I would imagine heaps of people fell for the trick).
quote]
i didnt!
yay!

suzieee

HSC
earthnfire said:
i loveeedd the multiple choices...pretty sure i'll get 14 outa 15...the rest of the exam was good....i'm hoping for a raw mark of 85+....chem's one of my best subjects
my teacher seemed to think i was better at chem than in physics. im expecting about 75+ raw in physics and about 50 in chem. haha i told him that at my formal last night. he didnt seem too impressed. :p

suzieee

HSC
i ended up throwing the mc book down on the floor cos the supervisers were talking through the first 20 mins of the exam... i was talking to the other 2 people in my class and they were both really annoyed about it but didnt want to say anything in case they disturbed the other people... anyway, im glad i never have to sit a chem exam ever again (unless of course i fail and need to redo it so i can get into uni...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)