chemistry help (1 Viewer)

royaaran

HSC
can some1 please help me answer this dot point from the syllabus, The acidic environment, point 4.

- Choose equipment and perform a first hand investigation to identify the pH of a range of salt solutions.

we did the experiment in school but i dont get what im supposed to know?

thanks

P

pLuvia

The aim of the experiment was to show us that salts could be either acidic or basic depending on if the reaction was with an acid and/or a base. i.e. weak base + strong acid --> Acidic salt, strong base + weak acid --> Basic salt etc. And this just helps us when measuring the pH of the salt that we know the pH will be >7 or <7.
Be able to write out the procedure of the experiment for exams

Last edited by a moderator:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Also, a strong acid reacting with a strong base results in a neutral salt formed with a pH of 7. You can measure the pH different ways such as using a pH probe with a data logger or indicators.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You can think out the procedure if you get a mental blank in the exam, go through the process of the equipment you would need to perform the experiment and the various steps. If you think/know you're going to forget something, then make the effort to remember those particular points! Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)