Chemistry Log Books - NEED HELP (1 Viewer)

roundy

HSC
hey everyone...

im stuck on summin called a log book, which is where u teach urself part of the syllabus, atm im doin one for the topic water, and i was wonderin if anyone in this forum had done one, any help would b much appreciated...

thanx,
roundy

Danoz The Great

HSC
Haha, I threw out allllll my chem log books in the bin after I dropped it :p

Year 11 is not worth the effort - it doesn't count and the work is hellish. Besides, you're cheating and that's not cool. Look in the resources, but I doubt somebody would put year 11 stuff in it.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
everything's in the resources....

ahm... i love the resources :) :D

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
dani_danoz said:
Haha, I threw out allllll my chem log books in the bin after I dropped it :p

Year 11 is not worth the effort - it doesn't count and the work is hellish. Besides, you're cheating and that's not cool. Look in the resources, but I doubt somebody would put year 11 stuff in it.
Hmm...I disagree.
What you learn in Year 11 Chem in fact provides a solid foundation for the HSC - concepts like intermolecular forces must be understood for the first HSC topic. Not to mention, virtually all of the formulae you learn in Year 11 are required to some degree in the HSC.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
roundy said:
well, al i want is a nudge in the right direction, not the whole doco, because, yes, that is cheating....
I'm not too sure exactly what you need for your log book, but for info on Water try other textbooks...Conquering Chemistry, Chemistry Contexts, Macquarie Revision Guide to name a few....there are stacks of resources + the HSC Online website (http://hsc.csu.edu.au) + as others have mentioned, the BoS resource section.

YBK

HSC
roundy said:
well, al i want is a nudge in the right direction, not the whole doco, because, yes, that is cheating....
It shouldn't be considered cheating... considering one who has money can go and buy 10 textbooks, you have the right to find nice resources and use them effectively ;) ... btw, maquarie rivision guides are VERY accurate to the syllabus... i use them alongside the context textbooks and resources from bored of studies when i summarise physics or chemistry dot points.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
You'll find that for the HSC, however, the Macquarie Revision Guide isn't sufficient on its own. For some parts of the HSC syllabus you need to actually conduct your own research, so be prepared for that.

YBK

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
You'll find that for the HSC, however, the Macquarie Revision Guide isn't sufficient on its own. For some parts of the HSC syllabus you need to actually conduct your own research, so be prepared for that.
own research... could that be looking through the contexts textbook?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
YBK said:
own research... could that be looking through the contexts textbook?
Well, firstly you need to research a biopolymer (I chose Biopol) and Chemistry Contexts didn't have a great deal of info on it...the syllabus directs you to conduct your own reseaech, however you may not have to look further than a few extra textbooks. It depends on what biopolymer you choose.

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Hmm...I disagree.
What you learn in Year 11 Chem in fact provides a solid foundation for the HSC - concepts like intermolecular forces must be understood for the first HSC topic. Not to mention, virtually all of the formulae you learn in Year 11 are required to some degree in the HSC.
exactly, you have to be an idiot to piss away the basic concepts in year 11, i ignored intermolecular/intramolecular forces and i sit there spending term 4 (year 12 last year) reteaching myself the year 11 concepts

go through spotlight chemistry (prelm) its a great book

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
The best way to study for Chem is just to get as many resources as possible, coz some textbooks don't cover certain areas very well...some miss parts altogether e.g. Chemistry Contexts missed out on "Buffers" in the HSC course but that may be becoz of the syllabus change.

And as Casmira said, pay attention in Year 11 - it's vital. If you don't, you'll either wind up confused or having to relearn parts of the course.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
velox said:
Rench i have the 2004 version and it still doesnt cover the syllabus properly.
Hmm...that's a pity, coz it's a good textbook.
But I guess you could always look to Macq. or Conq Chem for extra info.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Hmm...that's a pity, coz it's a good textbook.
But I guess you could always look to Macq. or Conq Chem for extra info.
I used to think it was a good textbook until i saw conquering chemistry. Contexts seems a little superficial.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
roundy said:
hey what are the excel prelim n hsc books like, are they any good?
To be honest, Excel Chemistry is crap. I wouldn't use it if I were you. People seem to gravitate towards Excel when looking for extra material (I did as well), but for Chem it's not very good.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
velox said:
I used to think it was a good textbook until i saw conquering chemistry. Contexts seems a little superficial.
I actually liked Contexts better than Conq Chem, although Conq Chem is also a very good textbook. Again, I try to use them hand-in-hand so in combo they're virtually unbeatable for information :D

It's a pity my school only provides us with Chemistry Pathways...I have to admit that it probably wasn't the best investment my school made seeing as we hardly ever use it and my teacher usually photocopies from Contexts or Spotlight anyway :rolleyes:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
roundy said:
what would be a good book thats like exel?? cvoz atm, im thinkin about gettin some
Hmm....firstly, don't get Excel coz it's not worth the $30.
I recommend you buy the Macquarie Revision Guide ($27) and if you wish to spend a bit more, then buy HSC Conquering Chemistry ($56) and/or Chemistry Contexts 2 ($73). According to dymocks.com.au, a 2nd edition of Conq Chem is going to be published in August so maybe you can hold off buying it until a bit later...

Btw. those prices seem quite high, but check out the Buy/Sell section of BoS and you'll be able to get them 2nd hand for about half price or even less. 2005 HSC students wll probably start offering their books for sale in a couple of months time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)