Chemistry or Biology? (1 Viewer)

Existentialism

HSC
N/A
Just curious about Medicine.

Overall, would the focus be moreso on Biology, or Chemistry when it comes to the actual degree?

I know both are important, however... would it be more advantageous to have a knowledge of Chemistry or Biology before entering Medicine?

I assumed Chemistry would be more important. However, I have been told that there is a heavy focus on Immunology, Anatomy etc. (Biology) within Medicine.

Could someone clear up which of the two is emphasised greater than the other within the course?

Jackie.bored

HSC
Both. There are many useful concepts of both Chemistry and Biology which are used. Immunology and Anatomy aren't that biology based (and some people have said that they didn't go into that much depth about anatomy and immunology in the HSC and don't actually focus on medicine specifically but rather ecology?)

I haven't been through much of the Med course as of yet so maybe what I'm saying might not be true for the rest of it. I didn't do biology personally but doing it may have given an easier understanding of some of the concepts but eventually, the 'advantage' from doing biology/chemistry would even out and everyone would be on the same field. And there are always people who will help you to understand the things that you don't know. =)

P.S. There's also a subset called Biochemistry where knowledge of both would help. Haha.

Also, don't let this be the reason for your subject selection - choose the course which you enjoy, thus meaning you will do better =) And that may be the difference between getting into med... think about it.

Existentialism

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply.

I would agree when it comes to HSC Biology. It doesn't really focus on Anatomy at all (focuses on parts of the Kidney, Heart, Eye, and so forth... but is nothing compared to what you will do at University).

I just throw Anatomy under Biology as it seems to relate closer to Bio. than Chemistry (to my knowledge).

I'll probably do both, and I've been studying Anatomy outside of school... that should help with parts lacking in HSC Biology.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
the stuff u learn in the VCE/HSC isnt med related at all. u may learn a few basic concepts in anatomy and physiology but its nothing. sports science or PE can probably teach u more med related stuff than chem or bio.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing first year MBBS this year and I'm really glad I did both. You learn concepts in Biology (even the stuff that isn't anatomy related) and you'll be able to apply it to the stuff you learn in medicine since you only really learn broad concepts in Bio anyway. Chemistry is useful, though we haven't really used it in much depth, just some talk about ligands, ionic and covalent bonding etc though I suspect pharmacology will be hardcore chem. My advice, do both.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)