Chemistry question (1 Viewer)

andrewjk

HSC
Need help with this question guys....

Describe the smelting process involved in the extraction of copper from its ores. Include chemical reactions?????

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's something like this:
Crush and grind the copper ore until its a fine powder.
Froth flotation is then used to separate out the particles of metal mineral which floats from gangue which sinks to the bottom. This leaves the metal concentrate (e.g. CuFeS2)
CuFeS2 is mixed with sand (SiO2) and coal and placed into a furnace. Oxygen is blown through and the ore is smelted, separating the iron from the copper: 2CuFeS2(s) + 4O2(g) -> Cu2S(l) + 2FeO(s) + 3SO2(g). The sand reacts with the FeO: FeO(s) + SiO2(s) -> FeSiO3(g)
The copper sulphide is heated in a converted with oxygen blown through to extract the copper from the copper sulphide: Cu2S(s) + O2(g) -> 2Cu(l) + SO2(g)
OR overall the reation is: 2CuFeS2(s) + 5O2(g) -> 2Cu(l) + 2FeO(s) + 4SO2(g)
The copper metal is called blister copper and contains some impurities so electrolysis is then used to produce very pure copper. The impure molten copper is cast into slabs which acts as the anode. The cathodes are made of stainless steel. When electricity is applied, the blister copper goes into solution and pure copper is deposited on the cathode. Impurities fall to the bottom of the tank as sludge.
I hope that helps!

andrewjk

HSC
thanks lol i need help with another stupid techers these days
Outline a suitable method for the extraction of sodium and chlorine from sea water

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Couldn't you just evaporate sea water to obtain sodium chloride crystals?

Last edited:

andrewjk

HSC
no its saying seperate sodium and chlorine from each other

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)