Chemistry: Study Tips (Mnemonics, Techniques, Etc.) (1 Viewer)

- Insomniac! -

HSC
Hey,

I created this thread in order for members to share their information towards the HSC Chemistry Course. I believe it would be of great benefit for every member doing their HSC AND members who have DONE their HSC to share their tips and tricks as to how they study for Chemistry.

If anybody has any useful information (techniques, memory skills) to help other members study then please share your information with the community, I'm sure everybody would love to hear you! =]

Eg.
Mnemonic (OILRIG) Oxidation is Loss, Reduction is Gain (of Electrons)

(REDCAT, AN-OX) REDuction at CAThode, OXidation at ANode (Galvanic Cells)

Basically contribute any information you would like to share, as I am sure everybody would benefit from it.

Thankyou =]

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Sorry but I hate this sort of tip. That's quite confusing and doesn't help me any time. The more you do and revise your stuff, the more you can memorize.

Whatever...

Try, e.g., creating a sentence for the order of prefixes for organic alkanes and stuff:

Meth, eth, prop, but, pent, hex, hept, oct, non, dec (not sure how to make a sentence anyway, probably you'd better memorize these rawly. lolz)

I used to make one to memorize the order of metal's reactivity.

- Insomniac! -

HSC
Undermyskin said:
Sorry but I hate this sort of tip. That's quite confusing and doesn't help me any time. The more you do and revise your stuff, the more you can memorize.

Whatever...

Try, e.g., creating a sentence for the order of prefixes for organic alkanes and stuff:

Meth, eth, prop, but, pent, hex, hept, oct, non, dec (not sure how to make a sentence anyway, probably you'd better memorize these rawly. lolz)

I used to make one to memorize the order of metal's reactivity.
That is perfectly fine and understandable as I understand that each person has his/her own way of learning. I also agree with you on the constant repetition technique as this definitely has helped me in the past. However I still do believe Mnemonics are also of equal value if you learn them AND understand them thoroughly. The Alkanes for me appear to be easier to remember them raw as you have suggested too =]

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
An Ox Lost the Red Cat!!

ie anode = oxidation = loss of electrons
cathode = reduction = gain of electrons

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Firstly the only one i learnt for my HSC was OIL RIG.
Secondly Youve done enough work in year 11 so as to not get confused between "Meth" and "Eth" and no offence but your a dead set idiot if you dont know Pent, hex, Hept, Oct, Non, dec.

so basically you only really need to work to know "Prop" and "But".
If you do enough electrochemistry questions you wont need to memorise anything. Just keep at it.

Good Luck.

Oh. and some tips. Before exams rewrite all your notes 2-3 days beforehand. Do this for every Chemistry Assessment. Try to simplify them throughout the year. to only include relevent details.

- Insomniac! -

HSC
wrxsti said:
Firstly the only one i learnt for my HSC was OIL RIG.
Secondly Youve done enough work in year 11 so as to not get confused between "Meth" and "Eth" and no offence but your a dead set idiot if you dont know Pent, hex, Hept, Oct, Non, dec.

so basically you only really need to work to know "Prop" and "But".
If you do enough electrochemistry questions you wont need to memorise anything. Just keep at it.

Good Luck.

Oh. and some tips. Before exams rewrite all your notes 2-3 days beforehand. Do this for every Chemistry Assessment. Try to simplify them throughout the year. to only include relevent details.
Thanks for the tips! =] Was the 'dead set idiot' aimed at me though? Haha if it was then I already know them by heart, but if it wasn't then that is good too I guess haha!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Mother Eats Peanut Butter for Meth, Eth, Prop and But.

Has served me well.

HSC
I printed the syllubus (plus optional topic) off from the Board Of Studies site and stapled them (my teacher gave me the syllubus but i got my own as well.) Using a blank exercise book, lable your modules with large headings and the sub topics with sub-headings, derrr.

Use your given resources eg. school chem textbook, and anyother resources you may posses to understand, relearn or get a better wording on concepts. Also i highly recomend picking up other chem resources, eg i used excell, not 4 every1 but it did the job 4 me, have a look, they are not 2 cheap but definatley worth it.

Do what i didn't and complete your notes after you finish the module or soon after when u get a free chance (don't finish your chem core notes the night b4 the exam!!! (not including optional topic :)...) lol u get 77!)

Now you have learnt and relearnt these concepts you can review your notes constantly comming up to the exam and u no longer hav 2 waste time relearning or writing them 3 days b4 hand, (alright me again...!)

Also do from >2000 past papers and either get your teacher or try your self to mark them. During doing the papers if u struggle with any questions or concepts go back to your notes and review, write more if you hav to. Ask the teacher ect...

When the exam comes u'll b so adept that u'll ace it. DON'T REGRET NE THING.
Good luck again guys!
Cheers!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)