chemistry teachers mistakes (1 Viewer)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
have any of your chem teachers made major mistakes in experiments? like today our teacher managed to set alight a gas tap and make a fir big fire ( coz she was holding the bunsen burner upside down) and im just like is this normal? like i know everyone makes mistakes, but she nearly burnt me! like completle

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Oh god! Glad our teacher hasn't done that but i wouldn't put it past him. We did get evacuated from the lab three times in two weeks though. That was due to the "dangerous fumes" caused by the guys in our class trying to boil antifreeze...

04er

HSC
our teacher is the pro of chemistry. The only mistakes she makes are computer spelling mistakes :D

TheKing

nah... my class geeks know the experiment before we do it so nothing ever goes wrong....
sad..... it would make titrations alot more interesting.....
plus teacher's always on the ball, shes taught so many smart ass 99+ UAI students that shes very conscious of what she does

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by TheKing
nah... my class geeks know the experiment before we do it so nothing ever goes wrong....
sad..... it would make titrations alot more interesting.....
plus teacher's always on the ball, shes taught so many smart ass 99+ UAI students that shes very conscious of what she does
woa!!!!!!! now that's a chem teacher... my teacher ... i dunno, he's soooo fascinated titration comp =p

and also, he neva got ANY computer based simulation/ probe to work...

aprt from that, he's alryte =)

TheKing

yea titration comp coming up at some privos boys school out at nth sydney yea?
probes never work because you need standarised pH solutions to calibrate it before use to be accurate and computers don;t seem to agree with old people

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ lol ... sounds like my chemistry teacher .. except our chem teacher managed to get one right yesterday ( cacclualting density of water ... probably hard to stuff up though!)

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
o well my chem teacher is alrite she hasn't blown n e thing up yet so far but sometimes she explains things to fast and expects us to write while she's at it
well there is so many events in this couple of weeks that my class hasn't had practical for like 3 or 4 weeks!

gagulgagulgaguri

um, to the guy who calls himself the 'king', I know your name is Martin and I know our teacher is Mrs Leslie.

I do not recall our class to be THAT geek...remember one of our class's stupid titration? This guy, was meant to titrate vinegar with sodium hydroxide, but the colour of the solution was not changing, even though they were keep putting vingar after vinegar into burrette...and guess what they found out when they put phenopthalein in both vinegar and sodium hydroxide...they both turned purple. Get it? They were titrating the bloody same solution! (now that's stupid!)

You're wondering who am I Martin? Huhuhu, this is wonderful, now I leave you with something to think about, uhuhuhu.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by tina_goes_doo
That was due to the "dangerous fumes" caused by the guys in our class trying to boil antifreeze...
in my stupidity in year 11. i forgot to dilute the antifreeze. so there i am going why aint it boiling? so i stick another bunsen under neath. phew its getting funny in here. *opens window

then the thermometer ran out. so i got out a 300 degree one. so there i am. 2 bunsens on full blast, blissfully ignorant of the fact i forgot to dilute. suffice to say it eventually caught on fire at around 290 degrees. green flames was teh bomb. it rocked. the entire beaker was black afterwards.

and of course, the teacher wasn't in the room (btw this was part of a open-ended investigation, prac assessment)

edit: more stories. our teacher was not quite so safetcy conscious. sure we had to wear our goggles most of the time, but some err.. "more dagnerous experiments we conducted". sodium in water (blew up the glass tube and shattered across the length of the room) and some volcano reaction (which produces carcinogenic stuff):rolleyes:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by gagulgagulgaguri
um, to the guy who calls himself the 'king', I know your name is Martin and I know our teacher is Mrs Leslie.

I do not recall our class to be THAT geek...remember one of our class's stupid titration? This guy, was meant to titrate vinegar with sodium hydroxide, but the colour of the solution was not changing, even though they were keep putting vingar after vinegar into burrette...and guess what they found out when they put phenopthalein in both vinegar and sodium hydroxide...they both turned purple. Get it? They were titrating the bloody same solution! (now that's stupid!)

You're wondering who am I Martin? Huhuhu, this is wonderful, now I leave you with something to think about, uhuhuhu.

lol, the anonymity of the internet

barnzey

HSC
N/A
Our teacher is sooo doughy,
I don't reckon we have even got a single experiment right so far

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
my teacher dropped a conical flask - but that is all from my class

cj_bridle

HSC
my chem teacher has a story for everything... there isnt a thing we can think up which she doesnt have a story about or a scar to prove... makes me look fwd to chem every day just to wait and see what comes next.... its also a crack up when she tells us she's had a few too many red wines while she was writing up a sheet for us.. it becomes obvious because of the numerous stains and hilarious spelling mistakes...

ahhh what a crack up

nit

HSC
This wasn't strictly a story about our chem teacher, but we had a substitute one day last year who the school was trying out as she'd applied for a job at our school...

She was teaching us about trends for the ionization energies across a period, and glossed over the decrease in IE going from Mg to Al and also N to O...Our class being loaded with smart guys asked her why the trend failed between Mg and Al, and she replied that she didn't know and that we should look it up...
We got to N and O, and asked her the same question again, and she replied again that she didn't know. At the end of the period, we asked her the exact same question one final time, and the head of the department, who'd been marking her, had to step in...

So that's my story of incompetent chem teachers and how we as a class basically destroyed one chem teacher's career:D

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Originally posted by nit
This wasn't strictly a story about our chem teacher, but we had a substitute one day last year who the school was trying out as she'd applied for a job at our school...

She was teaching us about trends for the ionization energies across a period, and glossed over the decrease in IE going from Mg to Al and also N to O...Our class being loaded with smart guys asked her why the trend failed between Mg and Al, and she replied that she didn't know and that we should look it up...
We got to N and O, and asked her the same question again, and she replied again that she didn't know. At the end of the period, we asked her the exact same question one final time, and the head of the department, who'd been marking her, had to step in...

So that's my story of incompetent chem teachers and how we as a class basically destroyed one chem teacher's career:D
thats so mean..

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
my chemistry teacher made us put in 20 cents everytime we swear so that we can get pizzas at the end of the term.

he teaches phy and chem.... so there goes the quality of education in our school.
he is a funny man cos
wait...am i in the wrong thread? arrr , just pretend you never saw this

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)