• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chemistry textbook, is it enough? (1 Viewer)

ar3nbe

HSC
After being a bit slack up to this point i have finally cought up on all my notes (beter late than never). Now im thinking are the resources im using really enough.

I currently have both Conquering Chemistry, Chemistry Contexts, The Excel book (shit as anything) and sometimes get some photocpoied sheets from Surfing Chemistry.

Do you think that this is sufficient enough to do well with. At the moment i mainly use the Contexts, coz i think it refers to the sylabus better, and is more detailed most of the time, that being said i sometimes refer to Conquering to get a second opinion. Excel is only sometimes used for practise questions, and help with calculations.

Money is no limit, i dont mind going out and getting more resources, however i would need to use them. Theres no point wasting money, and not using the books.

Im summary do you think my current combination is good enough ?

funking_you

Hi,

Without sounding insincere, i believe you are overloading your senses with chemistry resources.
The best textbook is by a long stretch, CC by Roland Smith.
This should form the main basis of your study, reading through the text, answering the questions, and especially completing the module tests in the book.
Secondly, you should purchase a copy of HSC Success One: Chemistry, which is a problem-based study book, created by the NSW Science Teachers Assosication (the dudes that write the exam).
You should aim to complete all the questions in that book by the time your yearly exam comes around.

It is not beneficial to actually be studying too many texts at once.

Cheers,
George

p.s. this is simply my opinion, i'm sure others will have their own views on the matter.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
agreed ^^
CC is the best i've used so far.
during the holidays i went through the whole course and did all the exercises, revision things.. etc and when i came back to school chem was a breeze :p
CC covers almost everything you need and some more.

shafqat

HSC
N/A
i used contexts but conquering is good too
and i second theChemCoach: the Success One book is essential

Will Hunting

HSC
Yeah, Roland Smith's CC takes the cake. Haven't tried Success One by the NSW STA but if it measures up to half of what George is saying about it I'll definitely take it on board!

ishq

brown?
HSC
I have CC - and we get sheets from Maq/Contexts for some parts at school.
I will definately keep my eye out for Success One.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)