Chemistry - Typed vs Written Notes (1 Viewer)

lach792

HSC
G'day guys,

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on what form of note-taking is best for chemistry. I know there are millions of forums on typed vs written, but I was wondering specifically for Chemistry. In the past, I've written my notes out but I'm starting to think typed is the way to go, as you can change it, format it, it's quicker and so on, however, you don't get as high retention and so on. Also, with chemistry there are a lot of diagrams and so on.

Just curious as to what you guys do.

Thanks a lot :)

DanielTheMan

HSC
Typed notes because its faster and if you make any mistakes, they will either be autocorrected or you can easily change them. I must say tho writing does have better memory retention however you save much more time by typing it out.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Either is fine, just find what works best for you. The main thing is the quality of the notes and them being concise (they shouldn't be really more than 15 pages a module). Some people work better with typed because it is neater and easier to edit. I typed during the HSC for Chem and now at uni I changed to writing it out for Chem and I haven't seen that much of a difference. You could also combine those two things together, in terms of you can draw diagrams / calculations and take photos to put on your notes document, while typing out other theory kind of stuff

lach792

HSC
Either is fine, just find what works best for you. The main thing is the quality of the notes and them being concise (they shouldn't be really more than 15 pages a module). Some people work better with typed because it is neater and easier to edit. I typed during the HSC for Chem and now at uni I changed to writing it out for Chem and I haven't seen that much of a difference. You could also combine those two things together, in terms of you can draw diagrams / calculations and take photos to put on your notes document, while typing out other theory kind of stuff
Yeah true, I'll give this a go.

keno

HSC
you could always type it then write what you have typed on paper

dumNerd

HSC
I mean for chem I just type it up before hand and when it comes to revision I write it out

Carl10101

HSC
Chemistry and Physics are pretty unique due to the fact that they contain numerical skills like maths as well as raw content like humanties. Due to this reason I tape my chemistry notes onto the walls of my study lol

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
G'day guys,

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on what form of note-taking is best for chemistry. I know there are millions of forums on typed vs written, but I was wondering specifically for Chemistry. In the past, I've written my notes out but I'm starting to think typed is the way to go, as you can change it, format it, it's quicker and so on, however, you don't get as high retention and so on. Also, with chemistry there are a lot of diagrams and so on.

Just curious as to what you guys do.

Typed works for me but I only type my notes because it’s a much faster way to get the information down. The downside to this I’ve noticed is not fully processing the information until I’ve read up on the particular concept to a satisfactory extent. I much prefer written notes otherwise because although you are more prone to making mistakes, drawing diagrams are much easier (well that is if you don’t have an iPad) and is great if you’re doing subjects which heavily rely on diagrams to convey information such as Biology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)