Cherrybrook Technology High School become selective? (1 Viewer)

whatyousaying

HSC
I was advised due to the large amount of enrolment at CTHS . it will be likely to be converted to selective. And the results is fairly good. This is just rumour. I do not have any evidence. But just want to bring out for discussion. In personal opinion, I do think the community in this area is great for childrens.

SpiderX1X

HSC
I was advised due to the large amount of enrolment at CTHS . it will be likely to be converted to selective. And the results is fairly good. This is just rumour. I do not have any evidence. But just want to bring out for discussion. In personal opinion, I do think the community in this area is great for childrens.
Who told you that it will turn selective?

Yeah like DrDusk said it's pretty good but not as good as those top selectives. Even in comparison to Sydney Technical, it got around 60 Band 6's for Extension 1 Maths, Cherrybrook got around 27 but with a cohort twice as large. So yeah it's good but not compared to the fully selective ones out there.

Also there isn't any other school that's near their catchment area, local students need it for enrolment, so I doubt it'll turn selective.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Schools don't just suddenly get turned into selective because they perform well, so agree with the above unless there is some whispers to the contrary. With the metro and growth in the North-West, I think the schools in the area will probably have their hands full without needing to attract out of area students!

Note also that Castle Hill High, which is kind of close by, performs quite similarly in recent years as do some other North-West schools such as Carlingford.

I don't think it's fair at all to compare a comprehensive school to a fully selective school though, of course they won't be comparable - they aren't selective!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
How about we make another 100 schools selective, as the politicians may like to do.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Given the area, and how large a school it is, I don't see why they'd convert it to selective. Maybe a selective or acceleraed stream but I don't think they'd convert such a large school selective without opening up more high schools to replace the loss of capacity.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Do you know that Victoria has only 4 Selective Schools. Now that is selective!

whatyousaying

HSC
Hi all, thank you for all response. I heard the rumours from friends' friend, but I guess all response above clear my doubt. One thing I still do not understand is, why most of people prefer to send their kids to cherrybrook rather than baulkham hill from primary school. Do you guys have any opinion on that?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Baulkham Hills is selective and one of the more competitive schools to get a place in, I would expect most parents sending their kids to Cherrybrook instead of BHHS would be doing so because the kids didn't make it into BHHS (whether they didn't get the marks, or didn't take the test).

A minority of students might not want to go to a selective school for personal reasons, and Cherrybrook just happens to be their local or desired school.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all, thank you for all response. I heard the rumours from friends' friend, but I guess all response above clear my doubt. One thing I still do not understand is, why most of people prefer to send their kids to cherrybrook rather than baulkham hill from primary school. Do you guys have any opinion on that?
I've never heard anyone prefer baulko over cherrybrook. Who told you most choose Cherrybrook over Baulko? Cherrybrook is an alternative that people use because Baulko is really hard to get into, so it just happens that more go to Cherrybrook.

whatyousaying

HSC
Thank you for your opinion. From my friends opinion, the reason seemed to be the avg house price in cherrybrook is so much higher compared to baulkham hills. Seems like this is the indicative that most people want to send their kids to school at Cherrybrook

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Buying a house in Baulkham Hills won't get you a place in BHHS, it's fully selective.

CTHS would just be one (small) factor in Cherrybrook house prices. Some parents in Cherrybrook also send their kids to private or selective schools.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you for your opinion. From my friends opinion, the reason seemed to be the avg house price in cherrybrook is so much higher compared to baulkham hills. Seems like this is the indicative that most people want to send their kids to school at Cherrybrook
Housing prices are influenced by many factors both the nature of the dwellings themselves as well as the location. Location isn't just the quality of schools in the area/catchment zones (although this may be a key factor for some), but also things like amenities, public transport, access to commercial areas, crime rates, etc... I wouldn't assume one has a direct impact on the other.

As others have mentioned, Baulkham Hills High is a selective school (i.e. you get in based on academic performance by doing a test) whereas Cherrybrook Technology is a comprehensive (i.e. you get in because you live in the area). CTHS also happens to be huge and have a huge intake.

For what it's worth, I grew up in the area, and went to Baulkham Hills. In my time at Baulkham Hills I can only think of people coming from CTHS into Baulkham Hills and never the other way around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)