Chill out people - the HSC isn't that hard (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
ahahaha ^ my thoughts exactly.

in summation:

- the hsc isn't "hard"
- you DO need to WORK
- the higher you're aiming the more work you need to put in
- so dont sit back and think it's not hard so you can just bob along and you'll be okay

- in the end if you DONT get what you wont, dont kill yourself either. there are other ways
- BUT dont rely on these during your hsc. they ARE backups...use them as back ups in case you dont quite get the UAI. dont do your hsc with these back ups as priority.

*steps off soap box* :p

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
That is assuming you want to go to uni otherwise they might not be your 'backups'.

phoebe15

HSC
the hsc may not be that hard but its what you have just spent the last 12 years at in order to complete one exam! talk about fucked up. and then they put a number on your personal ability which most unis will not even look at unless its THAT desired number! thats alot of pressure to have put on you especially when it could take you just minutes to choke and screw up someones life plan.
........so "chilling out" in that sort of situation which carries so much baggage isnt as easy as it is said.

L

littlewing69

dion7789 said:
it is absolute bs that if u dont get the uai ur screwed. For things like law or medicine it is a high uai but if u dont get it u can just as easily get into uni in something similar and transfer in ur 2nd yr if u can. If u really want to be a 'high-flying lawyer" then u would obviously have to be prepared. if its ur dream what is 1 or 2 years even 3 years difference. NOTHING! ust because u may be 5 years behind ur school cohort for those doing law it doesnt mean u wont be successful. anyway how many high flying 20 something year old lawyers do u see?

Nope, it's true. You do realise how difficult it is to transfer into high-demand courses, right? UAI can factor into the transfer process as well, especially if you're transferring at the end of first year. And what if you miss out? You wait to do postgrad law/med...and if you don't get into that? Then what? That's 3-4 years of time and money spent for no gain.

That's not exactly a nice attitude to have towards people. You have no idea what people go through during their HSC year that could effect their assessments, exams, hsc marks and finally their UAI. Some of these yes they can get special consideration and EAS but for some their marks are to far gone for it to help.

But given the scenario you raised yes if you wanted to be a lawyer or doctor with a 70 UAI it would be a set back and you might take longer to get were you want to be but if it is truly your dream job you will take an path any road and get there no matter what. Yes your UAI and HSC might not of been able to get you in straight away but if you really want it you will take the other paths and open doors for yourself.
How is it not a nice attitude? It's the truth. I'm not making any presumptions about why someone misses out on their goal. Sometimes shit happens, I know, and there's not much you can do about it.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. "but if you really want it you will...open doors for yourself". That's just simply not true. Plenty of people would love to be doctors/lawyers/vets/rocket scientists etc. but simply can't achieve it. That's life. We all compete amongst each other for the 'best' jobs, most money, biggest opportunities. There are winners, and there are losers. HSC is not the be all and end all of life, but it is a very large step in getting yourself to whatever goals you have set. Sure, sometimes you can recover from a failure at HSC level, but other times you're screwed.

All I'm trying to say is that we all have limited money, limited time and limited talent. Depending on your allotment of those three, you may never achieve your goal, no matter how much you want it. It's just silly to pretend otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
littlewing69 said:
How is it not a nice attitude? It's the truth. I'm not making any presumptions about why someone misses out on their goal. Sometimes shit happens, I know, and there's not much you can do about it.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. "but if you really want it you will...open doors for yourself". That's just simply not true. Plenty of people would love to be doctors/lawyers/vets/rocket scientists etc. but simply can't achieve it. That's life. We all compete amongst each other for the 'best' jobs, most money, biggest opportunities. There are winners, and there are losers. HSC is not the be all and end all of life, but it is a very large step in getting yourself to whatever goals you have set. Sure, sometimes you can recover from a failure at HSC level, but other times you're screwed.

All I'm trying to say is that we all have limited money, limited time and limited talent. Depending on your allotment of those three, you may never achieve your goal, no matter how much you want it. It's just silly to pretend otherwise.
Ah I see your point but there are some people that do want to be doctors and lawyers but didn't get the desired UAI they wanted. It could be the only real thing they wanted to do, just because they didn't get there at the first oppertunity doesn't mean they should stop trying or not take the other paths.

I see your point though, yes after awhile it becomes a lot harder to make these dreams happen but if you really want them you can and would be willing to take any steps to get their. But people set realistic goals of what they want to achieve and their dream career I don't see any reason why they can't their are some goals that in life will be out of some people's reach but a career is something that will pretty much last you a lifetime so you want to make sure it's the career you want to do. As they say you make your own luck\oppertunities.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Your point would be? If that's what you want to do then there is nothing wrong with it. Because if your point is it's the easy path that's hardly true, it's just the right path for that career.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
pritnep said:
Your point would be? If that's what you want to do then there is nothing wrong with it. Because if your point is it's the easy path that's hardly true, it's just the right path for that career.
Oh so you think it's fine to bludge through year 12 and kill time just because you think you don't need the UAI?

When you disregard the HSC, you lose the opportunities it will provide you. If you just accept the fact that you're at school and might as well learn while you're still at it, you can actually achieve something. If you decide against uni in the end, so be it. Go be a plumber, go to tafe, get an apprenticeship, follow your dreams, etc.

But what happens if you change your mind?

The whole point is to open yourself to as many opportunities as possible so you can use the time you have left to decide what you want to be. That decision usually changes throughout school and isn't made until the very very end. If you enter year 12 wanting to be a plumber, you can't be sure you'll still want that by the end.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
littlewing69 said:
No, it really is.
:)

okay now i think we'd have to define "hard" :p

but i guess bottom line the threadstarter was trying to get out was to do your best, dont stress too much and you should be good :)

bmwz4

HSC
why cant ppl just accept that the hsc is what u make it? people have different goals and dreams.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Nakashima said:
Oh so you think it's fine to bludge through year 12 and kill time just because you think you don't need the UAI?

When you disregard the HSC, you lose the opportunities it will provide you. If you just accept the fact that you're at school and might as well learn while you're still at it, you can actually achieve something. If you decide against uni in the end, so be it. Go be a plumber, go to tafe, get an apprenticeship, follow your dreams, etc.

But what happens if you change your mind?

The whole point is to open yourself to as many opportunities as possible so you can use the time you have left to decide what you want to be. That decision usually changes throughout school and isn't made until the very very end. If you enter year 12 wanting to be a plumber, you can't be sure you'll still want that by the end.
Eh? No that's putting words into my mouth.

I never said you should try any less. You try the best that you possible can. My point was there is nothing wrong with having a goal of going into a trade but that doesn't make you study any less nor take the easy road.

I never said anything about studying less my point was if that is your goal then so it be. People don't try any less because you can't try any less you do the best you can. I know I do the best I can even if I know I can easily make the required cut off, why because if I am doing something I might as well put my full effort into it.

The whole put of doing the HSC is to have all your options open. You have completed your schooling to the highest level then you can decided exactly where you want to go from there.

bringbackshred said:
I laughed so hard at that. You made my night.
I fail to see the funny side.

HSC
bmwz4 said:
why cant ppl just accept that the hsc is what u make it? people have different goals and dreams.
Because this forum (and life in general I suppose) would be boring if everyone had the same opinion.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
littlewings69 said:
For all the talk of back doors and alternative pathways...if you fuck up the HSC...you're still kinda screwed.
That's so not true! It sounds cliche but screwing up the HSC is not the end of the world, there are far worse things in life to put it into perspective. The HSC is important and yes going well in it can save you a lot of trouble and make your road easier, but don't go thinking that your life is screwed if you dont go well. For some people it's not possible to go well during that year.

littlewings69 said:
Say you wanted to be a high-flying lawyer, or a doctor, and you get a 70. You're fucked.

People always say this Oprah-esque thing about 'achieving whatever you want if you believe in yourself', but it's just not true. If you bugger up your UAI, you can close a couple of doors forever, or at best waste another 4 years of your life clawing your way back up into something you wanted.
But it is true, to an extent at least. Sure things can happen in life that can screw up your plans and no amount of "believing in yourself" can fix it, but messing up the HSC is certainly not one of them. Just wait until something really bad happens to you, the HSC will seem like nothing.

And I don't see how it is wasting 4 years of your life if you are working towards something that you really want. It's a very negative way to look at things and the way I see it, if you're not willing to take the back road and work hard for to get somewhere if you miss out first go, then maybe it's not where you're meant to be in the first place. A few extra years is nothing if you really want something, this coming from someone who knows.

pritnep said:
That's not exactly a nice attitude to have towards people. You have no idea what people go through during their HSC year that could effect their assessments, exams, hsc marks and finally their UAI. Some of these yes they can get special consideration and EAS but for some their marks are to far gone for it to help.
Exactly.
You can get top marks all the way through school but then something can happen that screws up your final year/s of schooling. It happened to me, my HSC was extremely messed up beyond my control and I got a horrible UAI that was farrr below 70 and too far gone for the EAS to help but does that mean I'm "fucked"? Erm, no.

I was happy to get a HSC at all since that seemed "impossible" for a while, but I got it in the end cos I was willing to take a year longer. I still got into uni by some miracle but if I hadn't, I'd have found a way anyway just like anyone else who gets screwed in year 12, or messes up for some reason or another.

I'm not trying to disregard the HSC, just put it into perspective. If worse comes to worse you can always redo the HSC (not fun, but if it gets you where you want.....)

pritnep said:
If people don't dream then what do they really have. Yes there are the realistic dreams and the not so realistic dreams. Plenty of people have gone on to succeed when people told them they never could. People have walked when they were told they never would, got fit again when nobody thought they could, got off drugs and are now successful. You can't not dream just because the odds are against you if anything that can be a motivation.
Wise words :)

Last edited:
L

littlewing69

Sprinkles~ said:
That's so not true! It sounds cliche but screwing up the HSC is not the end of the world, there are far worse things in life to put it into perspective. The HSC is important and yes going well in it can save you a lot of trouble and make your road easier, but don't go thinking that your life is screwed if you dont go well. For some people it's not possible to go well during that year.
I never said it was the end of the world.

And I don't see how it is wasting 4 years of your life if you are working towards something that you really want.
I count 4 unnecessary years of work which may or may not in the end actually pay off as constituting being 'screwed' because you bombed the HSC for whatever reason. I never said any more or any less.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

littlewing69

-pari- said:
:)

okay now i think we'd have to define "hard" :p

but i guess bottom line the threadstarter was trying to get out was to do your best, dont stress too much and you should be good :)
You haven't done the HSC yet. It is certainly hard. Overwhelmingly so, at times.

Sometimes stress and fear can be great motivating factors.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
littlewing69 said:
What if you never get in?
But what if you do in the end, there are seriously heaps of ways to get into uni. There's even enabling programs like Newstep at Newcastle uni, or the one at UTS etc etc, so that people who missed out still have the opportunity to get into uni.

You'll never know if you just give up after getting a bad HSC or UAI...

At Orientation there was a 60 or 70-something year old woman who was starting another degree at my uni this year after being a doctor her whole life, and I read about a 90 year old man who completed law the year before last. I'm not saying people should wait till they're old and grey but just that the door to uni is never closed :p

-pari-

HSC
N/A
You haven't done the HSC yet. It is certainly hard. Overwhelmingly so, at times.

Sometimes stress and fear can be great motivating factors.
lol. that i know, coz that much i've already seen and experienced myself.

by "hard" i meant content wise, the difficulty of exams - or at least those that i've done - may be no different to that you would experience in any other year. but then i've only done a couple of internal ones. i'm yet to see the real deal ....

but definately the hsc 'year' - with the competition, stress, workload, the ups n downs and pressure to perform - is harder than any other schooling year by far. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)