Choosing a university (1 Viewer)

gelobro

HSC
I'm currently in year 12 looking do mechanical engineering in university. UAC applications opened today and I know I have plenty of time but I can't decide on a university. I've looked all over the place and I'm currently considering UNSW, USYD and UTS.

UNSW and USYD are pretty high up there in the university rankings, and that UNSW is highly regarded for their Engineering courses but UTS offers 2 semesters of internships and that can help with employment. If it helps, I prefer more practicality and what I've read is that USYD is most theoretical, UNSW is balanced and UTS is more practical. But regardless I wouldn't mind either.

Does anybody have any suggestions to help me out? No bias pls

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently in year 12 looking do mechanical engineering in university. UAC applications opened today and I know I have plenty of time but I can't decide on a university. I've looked all over the place and I'm currently considering UNSW, USYD and UTS.

UNSW and USYD are pretty high up there in the university rankings, and that UNSW is highly regarded for their Engineering courses but UTS offers 2 semesters of internships and that can help with employment. If it helps, I prefer more practicality and what I've read is that USYD is most theoretical, UNSW is balanced and UTS is more practical. But regardless I wouldn't mind either.

Does anybody have any suggestions to help me out? No bias pls
Fat chance of that here tbh haha

I recommend you go to the Uni Open Days and attend the seminars that the Engineering faculties present. I know that USYD have their Open Day around the end of August, and most universities have their open days on the same day (unfortunately).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
UTS open day and USYD is on the same day :(
Fortunately UTS and USYD are super close to each other (10 minute walk at most).

Just want to make sure that the Engo seminars aren't at the same time. If they are, you can get a friend to go to the other one.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW.

UTS one isn't like, here's your internship. You got to find it yourself. Which is something you could do at UNSW as well

gelobro

HSC
but with UNSW would i have to find my internship after getting my degree?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
no, while you do it, i think 3rd year.
Depends on length of the degree.

The defacto standard for internships is a student's penultimate year. Typically this will be the summer holidays before the start of the student's final year.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
no, while you do it, i think 3rd year.
Depends on length of the degree.

The defacto standard for internships is a student's penultimate year. Typically this will be the summer holidays before the start of the student's final year.
Engineering is a little bit different as the accreditation process (and as a result, graduating) requires work experience. From what i've heard students at UNSW typically do it towards the end of their degree.

UTS one isn't like, here's your internship. You got to find it yourself. Which is something you could do at UNSW as well
Theoretically, yes. But the facilities/subjects set up for the engineering practice program do help, and more importantly the first internship at UTS must be done before you can progress in your course which gives students the push to look/apply for positions.

gelobro

HSC
are either of the universities more practical based than the other? are the facilities all great too? what makes one better than the other?

Silly Sausage

HSC
USYD is really theoretical whilst UNSW is a more of a mix of both theory and pratical. UTS places heavy emphasis on the practical part. Usyds facilities are really old whilst UNSW and UTS have relatively new facilities (especially UTS).

gelobro

HSC
I've steered towards UNSW and UTS now. Is there any specific positives and negatives about each? Thanks so much guys, you're helping me a lot :)

Flop21

HSC
Why would you not want to go to the best university for the field you want to go into (engineering)?

Engineering requires you do 60 days of industrial training (I think it's 60 days), so you'll be doing that in any engineering course, and the uni will help you out finding one since you are required to complete it.

Also, check out the co-op scholarship program at UNSW, you may be interested because they give you lots of work experience / internships.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
The real question is: would you rather do Engineering in a castle or a modern building

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
the uni will help you out finding one since you are required to complete it.
Sure about that? If you look it up theres stories of people being unable to find anything and not being able to finish their course.

But I have heard of a few UNSW students planning on post grad doing their placements at the uni.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
We had 45 days of compulsory placements in my degree (not engo though) and our faculty did not find places for us.

At most, there was a database of organisations which had taken students in the past but obviously that wasn't a guarantee.

Flop21

HSC
Sure about that? If you look it up theres stories of people being unable to find anything and not being able to finish their course.

But I have heard of a few UNSW students planning on post grad doing their placements at the uni.
Wow really?

I'm only going off what I've heard at UNSWs engineering nights/days. They were talking about how the engineering degrees have 60 days industrial training and have to complete it, so the uni will try to help them find it (they did seem a bit iffy about this, a few "ums" etc.) Computer science, you're not required to do industrial training and hence you're more on your own finding internships and that. While the co-op scholarship obviously they definitely help you get your experience. .

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Wow really?

I'm only going off what I've heard at UNSWs engineering nights/days. They were talking about how the engineering degrees have 60 days industrial training and have to complete it, so the uni will try to help them find it (they did seem a bit iffy about this, a few "ums" etc.) Computer science, you're not required to do industrial training and hence you're more on your own finding internships and that. While the co-op scholarship obviously they definitely help you get your experience. .
Of course they'd paint their program in the best light, I'd bet the "help" they talk about would be a database like OzKo mentioned and whatever programs are in place at the uni to help students get jobs. (resume reviews etc.)

To be honest, the 12 weeks isnt too much to worry about though. I'm sure a lot of employers looking to employ graduates would still employ you without completing the 12 weeks, and you can then use your job as that experience. It might defer your official graduation though.

The benefit of the UTS program (OR being proactive in any other degree/something like the Diploma of Professional Practice at UNSW) isnt about meeting those requirements though, it's the fact that experience in industry is really valuable and that internships can often lead to jobs, industry connections or a better idea of what you actually want to do once you've graduated.

D94

HSC
N/A
Wow really?

No one said the uni will find it for you, but they can help with providing lists of companies that may offer work experience. You still need to contact companies yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)