choosing between unis... (1 Viewer)

i_like_black

HSC
Any of you uni kiddies have the problem of deciding which uni to go to after you got your offers? or did you know which you wanted before hand, if so was that because you went to all the open days and info days etc. ? I'm wondering as all my preferences are in sydney and I'm about equally enthusiastic about doing all of the courses I've chosen, tho i wasn't able to get to the open days in late august. Also, was wondering about the UAI cutoffs, people who got the UAI cutoff still get into the course if they meet all other criteria right? Also, is it worth me looking for a job whilst being at uni, I've heard some people say they wouldn't have been able to cope with a job and full time uni, but others say they can. Do any of you guys have jobs? I'm curious because I figure if I start enquiring now I'll have more chance of getting a good job. hmm. I think that's all for now, thanks much anyone who has some guidance for me :)

Last edited:

shannonm

HSC
N/A
theres (unsw) info day on the 4th of jan, which is the day or day before offer submission. might get more of a clue if you go there
as for jobs, like you say everyone is different and we cant answer for you
if you're not sure you can get a job then quit if the workload is too much

santaslayer

HSC
If you get the exact cutoff then you're in. If you got the exact uai to get into a course published last year but it increased then mostly, you will not be admitted. Some exceptions may occur.

im jobless.
too hard for me.
too many activities on the weekends
too much study on normal days.

i_like_black

HSC
santaslayer said:
If you get the exact cutoff then you're in. If you got the exact uai to get into a course published last year but it increased then mostly, you will not be admitted. Some exceptions may occur.

im jobless.
too hard for me.
too many activities on the weekends
too much study on normal days.
good stuff. is that a double degree you're doing?

Generator

HSC
N/A
i_like_black said:
The recommended semesterly workload of a double degree is no different to that of a single degree. The only difference in workload is that one takes more time to complete.

santaslayer

HSC
i_like_black said:
Yes. :)

Generator, I've never understood what that meant. Most people I know do 3 or 4 subjects but I have to do 5. That's my recommended semesterly load?

The 3 or 4 subjects others do ARE their recommended semesterly load.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The reason I chose UOW is because that is the best offer I got. But even if I had a better one I probably would have chosen UOW anyway because its easiest to get to from my house. I don't have to get public transport, there is no traffic and only 3 traffic lights.

I have a part time job. This semester I had 20 hours Tuesday - Friday. It really doesn't give me the time to have a full time job. For most of this year I was lucky if I got 1 day off a week which doesn't make me very happy.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
^ he means the recommended workload is the same..
(it is recommended) you take 24 (or whatever for your uni) units of credit per session.
if you are single degree, you take this amount of uoc
if you are combined, you also take this amount of uoc

.. the workload is very close / the same for both combined and single degrees

the point is that, you can't use the excuse 'im doing a double degree' for having less free time (im not saying that you or anyone is saying that), because the amount of hours and workload is approximatly the same as one doing a single degree, combined just takes longer

however if you want to critically analyse it.. at unsw doing a single degree you take 12units of geneds, which are comparatively easier than a non-gened subject of 3uoc.
so if you wanted to you could normalise each course to a 'real' uoc, where it corresponds to the amount of work required to get a predetermined mark (eg. 75 DN), and you would find equialent uoc of a gened would be 1.5 or 2 (or whatever, but most likely less than 3).
if you do this you would find single degree perhaps have less of a workload, during the sessions in which the students enrol in them take gened course (or exclude 3uoc to take geneds over summer/wint.)

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
shannonm said:
^ he means the recommended workload is the same..
(it is recommended) you take 24 (or whatever for your uni) units of credit per session.
if you are single degree, you take this amount of uoc
if you are combined, you also take this amount of uoc

.. the workload is very close / the same for both combined and single degrees

the point is that, you can't use the excuse 'im doing a double degree' for having less free time (im not saying that you or anyone is saying that), because the amount of hours and workload is approximatly the same as one doing a single degree, combined just takes longer

however if you want to critically analyse it.. at unsw doing a single degree you take 12units of geneds, which are comparatively easier than a non-gened subject of 3uoc.
so if you wanted to you could normalise each course to a 'real' uoc, where it corresponds to the amount of work required to get a predetermined mark (eg. 75 DN), and you would find equialent uoc of a gened would be 1.5 or 2 (or whatever, but most likely less than 3).
if you do this you would find single degree perhaps have less of a workload, during the sessions in which the students enrol in them take gened course (or exclude 3uoc to take geneds over summer/wint.)
See, what I am saying is that the people I was referring to all did their required/recommended amount of subjects. I did too.

I typically had one or two more subjects I had to complete within the same semester as opposed to others with singular degrees.

Even if we all had the same credit points we would still be forced to do more in terms of workload since we would have to hand in assingments for more subjects. Am I making sense?

shannonm

HSC
N/A
some single degree people have to take 6-8 courses in one session (year 2 session 2 elec eng single degree unsw), whilst some double degree people (2nd year comm/law unsw) take 4 courses per session in year 2.

you can't straight out say double have more workload (using your definition of workload as assignments per unit credit), (and keeping assignments er subject close to constant), than singles, because it's a property of the faculty/school/degrees you are doing
pretty much all commerce/law subjects are 6 units, whilst pretty much every 2nd and 3rd year physics course is 3 units.

(double OR single containing phys more 'workload' than double OR single contain comm)

if that is what you are talking about

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
The only way I see to fairly compare uni subject load without bias is by HECS. Are you doing a .500 HECS load a semester? Then you are doing a full load and not more or less, are you doing a .625? then you are doing slightly more than other people. I have done a 1.000 load per semester before. This is in the eyes of the funding body not the uni who can then tell you to do 10-30 hours per week as it sees fit.

The Universities can distribute CPs anyway they like but in the end they are governed by HECS and their rules so unless the uni feels like giving you .625 worth of education for .500 of funding from the government (not bloody likely) I would say your uni is just being creative with their CP distributions.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
..so unless the uni feels like giving you .625 worth of education for .500 of funding from the government (not bloody likely)
I'm sure in engineering.. this happens often :cool: .. with all the 3uoc courses..
our uni is so generous... :)

santaslayer

HSC
Hmm...actually I don't think the credit points for differing unis can be compared easily.

The smallest cp unit I've done is a 2cp one which was a law "practical skills" subject.

Most I've done is a 8cp.

Most first year subjects are a 6cp course.

???

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well, in reference to the first post, after you get your offer, you usually only have one offer, so you have no choice but to accept that offer? :p. I assume you meant after you get your UAI and you want to change your preferences?

Anyways yeh, I'm doing a combined degree and my workload is the same as that of the single degrees. It just takes 4 years to do instead of 3.

mishka

HSC
N/A
our first two semesters have been 5 subjects, but next year both are 4 subjects and in fourth year second semester i think it's only 3. (so we can start teaching casually)

I was set on my first preference (which I got) since I went to Open Day and got a feel for the uni.

I would definitely look for some sort of work while you're at uni - textbooks and commuting take a fair whack of my money :( (and I'm doing an education course - I feel sorry for the sciency people!)

I have a casual job usually around 12 hours a week and during my 3 month break they have offered me full time work at a higher rate, so it's definitely good to have your foot in the door somewhere to get some money while you're off for a quarter of the year!! Considering I have had to go to uni pretty much everyday during both semesters this year, getting casual hours shouldn't kill you. :)

gerhard

HSC
i dont know how people could survive without a job.

im spending about $50 a week on uni or uni related things
25-30 public transport
10-15 food
10 beers/entertainment

Peartie

HSC
You either have to be getting enough money for youth allowance

OR

Your parents are earing under a certain amount of money

For some people thats hard to get...

p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s

mademoiselleN
HSC
To answer your first question yes, I was choosing between usyd, unsw, anu and mq and got accepted at all four. I chose mac coz they offered me the most significant scholarship , and I heard that mac has a good repuation for prof accounting.

Otherwise, I would have chosen Usyd coz of the nice buildings , love the harry potter style :D and it's closer to pitt st. mall and accomodation might also be cheaper around newtown/glebe.

I work around 17-20 hrs during the semester to survive (because I don't live at home) and my parents help a lil bit. It's possible to cope if you're well organised, and it's best to stop working maybe 2 weeks before exam period. When you take a break from work, you just feel like you have so much free time....it feels great!

Sometimes you'll have to forgo the social life...like partying till morn. on sat nights to be able to work on sunday! but that's the whole package of the work-uni-independant life experience.

Well it also depends what course you're doing at uni, mine's only 12hrs of contact p.w and I like to constantly moving around :) and maybe have some money to shop.

Have fun deciding and a hectic uni life is the best!

p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s

mademoiselleN
HSC
natstar said:
How can you get accepted into all 4? You only get 1 offer. Or did you apply for the different rounds?
I'm not Australian, so it's probably a bit different.

I just submitted individual application forms for each uni and got the letters of offer later on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)