Hello,

I'm in year 10 now and I currently did my subject selection and I've picked:

-Extension Maths
-Extension English
-Economics
-Physics
-Engineering Studies
-Software Development

I thought about choosing business studies over software development because I didn't want to do double commerce related subjects, but in the end I chose software.
After looking at the year 12 HSC exams, the software one looked pretty complicated because of the algorithms and this year's IST exam had an algorithm exam and I didn't do well in it.

I'm considering choosing business studies again but I got few questions:

1. In year 11/12, are there group assignments because I'm not pretty good at them, maybe because my class's overall performance is pretty bad compared to others and this year I've been paired up with few of the worst people (it was all random) but my overall commerce ranking is 4/114

2. If there is, how much of the overall marks does it affect, especially at HSC level.

3. Is it an overall easy topic and would it decrease the workload from my current selected subjects or about the same?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hello,

I'm in year 10 now and I currently did my subject selection and I've picked:

-Extension Maths
-Extension English
-Economics
-Physics
-Engineering Studies
-Software Development

I thought about choosing business studies over software development because I didn't want to do double commerce related subjects, but in the end I chose software.
After looking at the year 12 HSC exams, the software one looked pretty complicated because of the algorithms and this year's IST exam had an algorithm exam and I didn't do well in it.

I'm considering choosing business studies again but I got few questions:

1. In year 11/12, are there group assignments because I'm not pretty good at them, maybe because my class's overall performance is pretty bad compared to others and this year I've been paired up with few of the worst people (it was all random) but my overall commerce ranking is 4/114

2. If there is, how much of the overall marks does it affect, especially at HSC level.

3. Is it an overall easy topic and would it decrease the workload from my current selected subjects or about the same?
Hey mate,

I was in the exact same situation as you, only I didn't choose Engineering Studies and I replaced Economics with Business Studies. My advice is - Software Design and Development - IS NOT WORTH IT. To answer your questions:

1. There is more group work in Software Design & Dev, then there is in business. I've only had one group task in the whole two years.

2. Self -explanatory

3. Yes, I chose it to decrease my workload. Business Studies is not a heavy subject, and you've got quite decent scaling already. It really helps if you're gonna do what I did and dropped Ext English for Ext 2 maths (a lot of people do). The course, personally for me is quite tolerable, I can't say it's completely interesting, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be. It's also easy to grasp.

Therefore, don't do software. They're about equivalent scaling, but business should be a lot easier to get marks in, and it has relevance in life. I made the mistake of taking SDD over economics - and I still regret that decision to this very moment.

terminator69

HSC
1. In year 11/12, are there group assignments
Not for business studies but SDD has a major project as a group.

It's mostly easy to understand but there is more to remember. I'd say it would increase from SDD.

AKA the software course sucks so go with business. (i speak as a student of both).

daniieee

HSC
There's not much else to say, so I'd just like to add that with business studies, even if you don't know the anwer, you can at least hope to BS your way through some marks. A lot of it is just common sense with a few technical terms here and there. It's quite easy, but there's a lot of content. As for group tasks, I've never had one for business before.

Speaking of BS, my friends and I were trying to get a jersey for our business teacher with "I teach BS" on the back. When the teachers ask, it stands for business studies. Not sure if the principal fell for it though lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)