Choosing year 9 subjects in year 8 - how important ? (1 Viewer)

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
How important is the choice of year 9 elective subjects if you eventually want to do medicine?

If Science is one of your compulsory subjects, is it neccessary/helpful to choose science subjects (e.g. physics, chemistry or biology) as electives for year 9?
I'm thinking it would be nice to choose non-science subjects eg commerce or food tech for a more rounded programme but would doing so limit options to do medicine later?

thanks for any help

cossine

HSC
How important is the choice of year 9 elective subjects if you eventually want to do medicine?

If Science is one of your compulsory subjects, is it neccessary/helpful to choose science subjects (e.g. physics, chemistry or biology) as electives for year 9?
I'm thinking it would be nice to choose non-science subjects eg commerce or food tech for a more rounded programme but would doing so limit options to do medicine later?

thanks for any help
You can choose whatever subjects you want. However I will note getting into some subjects can be little bit competitive (e.g., maths Ext, science) the main thing is that you work reasonably hard to get good marks and be familiar with core concepts.

carrotsss

HSC
I didn’t even know it was possible to do phys/chem/bio as yr9 electives, it’s certainly not at my school

But no, it doesn’t matter. Though if your school offers accelerated HSC subjects in your elective slot then that’s worth considering

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I didn’t even know it was possible to do phys/chem/bio as yr9 electives, it’s certainly not at my school
you can't (unless you're talking about accel science, which the prelim year usually starts in y10), if they were i wouldn't have done them because i don't remember getting a single 80%+ mark in junior science 💀

thanks for any help
it doesn't at all, my electives (commerce, drama, accelerated japanese continuers) didn't count at all towards any subjects i did in y12 or any of my uni degrees i'm interested in

it's completely fine to do non-science/stem subjects in y9 electives (as someone who's doing two sciences now), they count towards nothing, not even your rosa is relevant tbh. pick electives you're interested in or you think you'll enjoy (that's why i picked drama)

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
I realise they will not look at your Y9 subjects when you apply for med but i was more wondering if not doing science subjects will put you at a disadvantage when you start doing science for HSC?
i.e if you don't do science electives in Y9 will you have a harder time catching up when you do science subjects in Y11-12 compared to kids that did do science in Y9?
thinking about doing commerce, food tech and chemistry - but just want to be sure that will not limit options or cause any disadvantages later if wanting to do med

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that it would also be good to clarify to OP the way in which subjects work at HSC level. While Stage 5 Science subjects provide students with a certain level of knowledge, they are not formally treated as assumed knowledge that would be needed if the student wishes to perform well in Stage 6 Science subjects. This means that students taking one or more Stage 6 Science subjects can definitely perform at a high standard in their HSC, which is not an uncommon outcome. The main factor that contributes to favourable performance is a student's commitment to a subject, including the effort that they are putting into their studies/preparations/revision.

Additionally, it is important to note that Stage 6 subjects closely follow specific and sophisticated syllabuses. Both the year 11 and year 12 course content is outlined in that course's syllabus document and constitutes the basis for assessment. This means that students will solely be assessed according to a particular Stage 6 subject's syllabus, therefore excluding any content that is not part of the syllabus of that subject, such as concepts that are beyond the scope of the syllabus (for example, those taught at university level) and, more relevant in your case, Stage 5 content.

I hope this helps! :D

nsw..wollongong

HSC
I realise they will not look at your Y9 subjects when you apply for med but i was more wondering if not doing science subjects will put you at a disadvantage when you start doing science for HSC?
i.e if you don't do science electives in Y9 will you have a harder time catching up when you do science subjects in Y11-12 compared to kids that did do science in Y9?
thinking about doing commerce, food tech and chemistry - but just want to be sure that will not limit options or cause any disadvantages later if wanting to do med
heyy i did philosophy + music as my electives in yr 9 and now I'm looking to get into med (yr 12 currently), the subjects i chose don't rlly impact how well i did in science in yr 11 or how I'm doing rn in yr 12.
honestly just have fun! u never know, u might change ur mind abt medicine. for the longest time i thought i wanted to do law but after taking legal studies, i wholeheartedly hate it. stay open-minded, don't be concrete in ur decisions just yet bc u have ages to decide what u wanna do

moonsuyoung

HSC

thanks for any help
Hi!
Year 9 electives do not impact you too much. However, if you are considering studying economics or business studies in the HSC, I recommend taking commerce and so as for other electives, such as if you want to take VA for HSC, pick VA for year 9 electives because it can be quite helpful. Choosing non-science electives will not limit your options to do medicine later but rather, choose what you are interested in.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC

thanks for any help
short answer: Hell no it wont affect prospects of getting into medicine.
On one note though it would be good if you set aside maybe food tech for something like chem accel or bio, as they will take immense pressure off you when you do your hsc, which is literally ages away.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
short answer: Hell no it wont affect prospects of getting into medicine.
On one note though it would be good if you set aside maybe food tech for something like chem accel or bio, as they will take immense pressure off you when you do your hsc, which is literally ages away.
nah ngl just go for it in yr 9 💀 food tech was so fun in yr 8

hscgirl

HSC

thanks for any help
i recommend u do electives u genuinely enjoy in y9 and y10, even if it is not even remotely related to what u wanna do in uni

like i did philo and french as my electives, and i wanna do med in uni, so yeah it doesnt matter (basically like what everyone else said above)

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
I’d just have some fun in yr9 and 10, pick all the fun and bludgey subjects - it has no influence to anything post year 10, the electives.

I was told by my commerce teacher to not do Econ in senior years but it turned out fine

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for the informative/helpful insights. So it seems the consensus is to do what you find interesting as it shouldnot really have any meaningful impact on your performance in later HSC studies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)