Christianity in Aust game (1 Viewer)

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
Ok, u've all seen the word association game? yes?? Well this is kinda the same, except that the only association between the replies is that they fall under the topic of Christianity in Australia 1901 to Present.

It starts with a subject in this topic (for example Anglican Bush Chuch Aid Society). The first person (being me) has to write at least one paragraph concerning this subject, and then give a new subject (doesn't have to be related to the last). So I would do sumthing like......

The Bush Church Aid Society began in 1919. The Rev. S.J. Kirkby commenced his duties as a padre in January 1920. A pastorial medical team stared in 1922 by 2 women, was based in an isolated settlement of the Cann River, Victoria. 80 km away from the nearest doctor. Many of the BCA workers did it rough; having to move through all types of land from bush to desert. The padrs were known for their 'swag and surplice'.

My next topic is conscription.

The idea is to not use any text books or notes, but to use anything you've learned. The person who puts in the most posts between now and this time next week wins!

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
SamTan*06* said:
My next topic is conscription.
Mainly an aspect derived from the fall outs of WW1 and WW2 politics, due to the religious climate of the time we really only know much about how Cathlics, Protestants and Jewish people felt towards. it

A little background? During WW1 the Australian Christian churches were in favour of Australia entering the war citing a pro duty stance to the empire and the "evils of Germany". Amongst Catholics and Protestants non compulsary conscription (if that makes sense) was high, though strongest enthusiasm was Protestant. An archbishop in Melbourne urged Catholics to "join heartily with fellow citizens in defense of mother country". However some religious leaders spoke out against Australia's participation such as Charles Strong and Mary Watts who both advocated.. umm.. pacifisim.

It was however during WW2 that conscription was introduced (1942) due to a belief of fighting the "cold blooded tyranny" of Communist nations and to defend "existence of democracy". The stance held by Protestants and Catholics was similar to that of WW1, then later in the Vietnam war it would change. Catholics however were more divided in viewpoints, the Labour party if they belonged to was opposed and they supported Daniel Mannix, a Catholic Archbishop, a strongly outspoken critic against conscription. The Catholics who did support it however tended to be wealthy such as the Archibishiop of Sydney. The issue later became a source of sectarian hostility and protestants were accusing Catholics of not supporting the war. Without the bloodshed of both world wars, the issue of conscription would not have been such a subject controversial.

Next topic: Pentecostalism and Charismatic movements

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
SuNrIsE_oVa_sEa said:
thats not a fun game - im not playing anymore...:mad1:

Ummm...you werenot playing in the first place.

Please dont use the subject forums to spam and increase your post count. Its a frivolous exercise and your posts will be deletd in teh future!

Thankyou, come again!

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Pentecostalism and Charismatic movements

Pentcostalism loosely describes denominations within Christianity that have an emphasis on the gifts ot the Holy Spirit.

Such Churches believe that the holy spirit can give the special ability of speaking in tongues, healing, preaching, teaching.....

During their services there is a lot of boddy language which includes the raising of arms while singing and praying. They also employ foreceful and emotional preaching.

Much of the growth of pentecostaslism came from denominational switching. Because of the energy and chrasima exhibited in this church, people who find their denomination to be 'boring' may switch. Many young people join this movement. Charimatic movements claim to allow believers to feel the presence of God.
As opposed to other denominations that have fewwer people attending church than are nominated on the census, pentecostals have higher numbers. THis is possibly due to people going to these services yet nominating their original family tradition on the census.

Next topic: Islam and the Labour movement
(do we have to know this btw?)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
YBK said:

Next topic: Islam and the Labour movement
(do we have to know this btw?)
Um I don't have any notes for Islam and Labour movement, only Jewish and Christian. I'm under the belief due to various factors which I can't be fucked listing there isn't really much information around for Islamic peoples views during the early 20th century and only minimal information around for the Islamic views on the labour movement.

It does however in the syllabus state

Responses by some religious traditions to social change and initiatives in community development from 1901 to the present:

– the role of religious traditions in the labour movement, conscription, wars and the Great Depression

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)