Christianity In australia from 1901--- HELP! (1 Viewer)

<BiB$tA>

i have to research the role and responses of christianity and one other religious tradition in Australia from 1901 to the present, under one of the following areas of *Poverty *Unemployment * Gambling or *indigenous rights...

i have chosen to do either poverty or unemployment depending on the information i am able to find. so far my search has been unsuccesful so,if anybody has any hints, or suggestions to where i can find information for either poverty or unemployment it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanx!!!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Try this thread:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23538

also, the unemployment angle is easy as the majority of all unempoyment services in Australia are administered by religious groups.

Also, here is a PM that I sent to another student who asked a similar question. Hope this helps/makes sense;

"You have some great examples there (some I hadnt heard of so thanks for the info!!)
One thing you should mention in this area (which have alluded to above) is that Christianity has all but taken over the gov't side of the unemployment issue. ie there are no gov't agencies (I think) that deal with job training and job placement etc (like the old CES=Commonwealth Employment Agency which handled ALL things to do with unemployment including payment).
These have been given over (wrong term as the individual churches paid millions for the priviledge-contracted I think is the term) to the various church agencies like Centre Care (Catholic?), the Salvo's have an agency and I think the Uniting Church have an agency as well (sorry, my brain isnt working at the moment so you may have to look up these names yourself and verify who "owns" what- may be as simple as looking in the phonebook).
These agencies are responsible for job placements, training and payments (the dole) which presents interesting ethical issues for the agencies all thetime ie do they let someone starve just because they are not meeting the requirements for getting the dole?.
Also, it may be worth while talking about/mentioning Tony Abbot who was the old minister for unemployment. He' trained' as a priest/brother so obviously (hopefully ) he bought a very obvious Catholic/Christian slant to his profile (something he was really criticised for).
Also, I think that the various unemployment ministers/ political groups have always had a 'religious' advisor (as the Churches are usually in the front line in dealing with unemployment and poverty through groups like St. Vincent De Paul.
Maybe a mention of the Costello brothers may fit in here as well. Peter as the treasurer has coped a lot of flack from his brother Tim (who is a minister) over funding cutbacks etc but this may fit more in with poverty than unemployment.
Could mention the Labor movement here as well if you want to take the angle that they are closet Catholics!!"

I actually pasted it so it wouldnt get lost........
Hope this helps and remember to sahre the knowledge by posting any sites you use here.........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)