Chromebooks - does anyone use them? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm generally a heavy power user of my PC and Chrome (lol I even have 64gb of RAM because of Chrome?) but have been most curious about trying out a Chromebook just as a "spare" laptop or 2-in-1 which I can chuck around and not worry about breaking it or damaging it. Whilst I love my Razer Blade 15 and iPad Pro 11", these are both pretty premium devices and I don't tend to take them to places which are higher risk.

Given they're pretty cheap for the basic models (eg Lenovo C340 Chromebook is <$300 currently), I'm thinking of getting one for fun and chuck around.

vinlatte

HSC
I got a chromebook in yr 7 bc my school was rolling in a new 'bring your own device' policy and they convinced my year to buy chromebooks. I switched to a small windows laptop in yr 10.

They're okay for browsing, using Google docs, slides etc. but it's very limited. Especially for any IT class (IPT, IST, ICT, Design Tech, Photography), you would need to download software like the Adobe creative cloud. Chromebooks have apps, and have a smaller collection in the Google web store.

I'm pretty sure there are some HP windows laptops that are in the same price range as chromebooks.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I ended up ordering one this morning just for the fun of it all. I tried it in JB and whilst it wasn't blistering fast, it was snappy enough so I'm pretty happy with what I've ordered and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival in the mail.

I appreciate there are Windows laptops in that price point but all that I've used in the sub $500 range have always left me 'wanting' with the limited performance especially once you have antivirus, bitlocker and a few programs running.

sida1049

HSC
I ended up ordering one this morning just for the fun of it all. I tried it in JB and whilst it wasn't blistering fast, it was snappy enough so I'm pretty happy with what I've ordered and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival in the mail.
nice

I appreciate there are Windows laptops in that price point but all that I've used in the sub $500 range have always left me 'wanting' with the limited performance especially once you have antivirus, bitlocker and a few programs running.
I've actually have been off of antivirus softwares for the last 6+ years. Would actively recommend not using antivirus if you're confident that you know what you're doing.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've actually have been off of antivirus softwares for the last 6+ years. Would actively recommend not using antivirus if you're confident that you know what you're doing.
I agree that most advanced users should be able to, but I'd rather have an extra line of defence even if I lose a few % of my PC's performance. Fortunately it doesn't seem to have a material impact on either my desktop (3700X/64GB) or laptop (8750H/32GB). The Chrome OS experience however should be interesting as my last netbook (Dell Mini 9) was well, crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)