cinema jobs (1 Viewer)

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
Does anyone work at the cinemas? If so, do you know how you get a job there? do you ask for application paper or talking to the manager? And what's the pay like?
thanks

mattyg87

HSC
yeah, i work at hoyts...to get a job there you just hand in your resume, preferably to one of the managers. the pay is pretty good ($10.51 an hour for under 18 beats most places), however during school periods you dont get many shifts unless there is a big movie out. in the holidays you may get up to 6 shifts in a week though

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
Cool, do they then call you up for an interview? if so, what questions do they ask?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i worked at hoyts in yr 10, i just handed in my resume to someone at the box office and they called me that night. although now i realise i was lucky, i know people who work there and never bother sending the resumes through to the managers.

it's an ok job, and you get free movies. the questions they ask you should just be the usual 'tell us about yourself' 'why do you want to work here' 'what are your strengths' etc.
although i think arthouse-type places like dendy tend to be a bit more specific. actually i think dendy in newtown is hiring. go on the website and look it up.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
but you don't get another payrise til 21 right?? cos i remember when i started there i was 15 and getting $10 something but it wasn't going to go up until i turned 18
oh well, i get more than $12.26 now anyway

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i work at an independent cinema. I just handed my resume to one of the people behind the counter and got a call a couple of moths later just before the christmas holidays. I've been working for about 2 yrs now

Pay-wise, i get $11.19 an hour, and i am 18 today. In the cinema industry i am 99% certain you dont get a significant payrise until you turn 19 where it goes up to about $16/h (?)

The free movies are good. And its a good place to work if you're dedicated to you're studies because it isnt as busy on school nights.

I didnt have an interview. I just got asked to come for my first shift and it's gone on from there.

Good luck if you're applying. Some cinemas are quite diffficult to get into. Put in your resume soon tho, considering you've missed the xmas holidays. There are some big movies coming out in may hols (eg: da Vinci Code, M:i:iii, Pink panther) and june Hols (eg: Cars). Thats when cinemas need staff. During school time it is relatively quiet.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I started work at my local independent cinema last week. I got $41 for working for 3hrs and 45min. All i do is collect tickets and take out the trash after each movie. Just hand them your resume.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
do you ONLY do floor?at hoyts you do floor/candy/box office and sometimes cafe if you're over 18 and have your rsa

hehe when i was there we used to have specific shifts where we were supposed to focus on making choc tops and only work out the front if it was reeeeally busy :p they're prepackaged now tho

mattyg87

HSC
haha we usually do a bit of floor and candy bar during the week, we dont open box office, just sell tickets at candy bar. But in holidays there is normally one section that you work on at a time, with one or two staff that do a bit of everything. I personally prefer getting shifts on candy bar when its quiet, or floor when its busy

froggy_chik87

HSC
our complex is so busy that we have to have the box office open all the time...but the hoyts over the road doesn't EVER open their box office any more they just have the box candy till thingys....

When you start at hoyts you have to work a certain amount of hours before you will get off the trainee pay...i think it may be 70 hrs, but im not quite sure. Then when you turn 18 you get like a 0.90 cent pay rise. You get a pay rise again when you turn 19, 20 AND 21. Then you never get a pay rise again. It ends up to be about $16-$17 as far as i'm aware when you turn 21.

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
cool, i just handed in my resume to the one at fox studio, hope i get it

HSC
I work at Greater Union on George st in the middle of the city, so its always friggin busy. I'm 17 and I get $12.26 an hour i think. We get a payrise at 19.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)