Circle Geo (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If you want applications Engineering Studies is there. It has a fair few statics/friction/energy problems

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Xayma said:
If you want applications Engineering Studies is there. It has a fair few statics/friction/energy problems
Not at my school it's not.

nit

HSC
Even then, motion isn't as much of a nasty bash as conics can be...all these cos's, sec's, sin's, tan's half angles etc all over the place. And a lot of tangent, chord expressions. Motion is just about a bit of integration in this course anyway. Volumes and random fractions can be a pain at times.

ngai

HSC
the math syllabus is great atm...at least when compared with phys

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
That isn't a challenge, more physics is in maths/engineering studies then physics.

Justin I'm still suprised at that given the male dominance at your school. Maybe they don't have the resources/teachers for it. Its not the best subject to pick up in either, 38 females :( compared to >1000 males.

grimreaper

HSC
Xayma said:
That isn't a challenge, more physics is in maths/engineering studies then physics.

Justin I'm still suprised at that given the male dominance at your school. Maybe they don't have the resources/teachers for it. Its not the best subject to pick up in either, 38 females :( compared to >1000 males.
Haha I'm pretty sure a girl does it at my school. I did actually choose it for year 11 but we had the most boring teacher you can ever imagine, so I dropped it after about 3 lessons for ext english (which wasnt any better)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Ours wears a trenchcoat and we have 7 textbooks or other related books. 6 of which are the schools (pretty much everyone bought an excel one)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
even mechanics is stupid
like yeh, ok u can work out at wat angle to bank some train tracks

but in reality there are so many more variables that none of the mechanics we learn is even close to being practical

even like resistant motion

where the resistance just happens to be the inverse square of the velocity or something...yeh *cough BS cough*

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i guess volumes is the only thing that comes close
but then again

yeh was function can u u se to describe something that u would actually want to find the volume of in practicality

a dam maybe? hmm f(x) = aosjdoiasjdoajwaochaohdoihwauiohaioxoiashdoihj

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
gordo said:
even mechanics is stupid
like yeh, ok u can work out at wat angle to bank some train tracks

but in reality there are so many more variables that none of the mechanics we learn is even close to being practical

even like resistant motion

where the resistance just happens to be the inverse square of the velocity or something...yeh *cough BS cough*
Well they aren't about to start teaching you how to calculate drag on objects and how kinetic friction works at differening speeds. Unless of course that is all you want to and even then it would be basic. No one every calculates it any more its mainly learn the theory and then stick it in a computer because you dont want to spend 10 hrs on a simple system.

mojako

HSC
gordo said:
a dam maybe? hmm f(x) = aosjdoiasjdoajwaochaohdoihwauiohaioxoiashdoihj
hmm.. I dont think its the formula to find the volume of a dam ^_^
doesn't have any + and - sign
indicating that it's not likely to be a formula applicable to real world applications.

it also has repeated variables which can be simplified.. eg a^2o^2sjdi instead of aosjdoia

well.. remember the quote by CM_Tutor:
CM_Tutor said:
There is stuff in the syllabus that does have real life application, and remember that you have to walk before you can run.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
mojako said:
hmm.. I dont think its the formula to find the volume of a dam ^_^
doesn't have any + and - sign
indicating that it's not likely to be a formula applicable to real world applications.

it also has repeated variables which can be simplified.. eg a^2o^2sjdi instead of aosjdoia

well.. remember the quote by CM_Tutor:
lol
sorry, i'll go consult my text book on that dam one

mojako

HSC
gordo said:
lol
sorry, i'll go consult my text book on that dam one
what textbook do u use?
im interested to buy one
lol

mojako

HSC
CrashOveride said:
u stole CM's quote from my sig..mine i tell u =p
but I was the one who told u in what post his sig was =p

Archman

HSC
N/A
well mechanic is useful, but it should go to somewhere where it belongs, like physics.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I didnt do physics coz i dint like all this velocity stuff, so when i started yr 12 i thought i got away from physics and that id neva see it again, until i got a rude shock in 4u one day, and discovered theres a whole bloody topic on that crap...alothough i do believe it is xtremely relevant and helpful in real life applications, i believe the true benefit is limited to those planning to do engineering, not ppl who r gonna do commerce

Archman

HSC
N/A
well where can they draw the line.. there are soo many ways to argue. I reckon the best option now for everyone is to just go back to studies :p (mebbe i should too)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Supra said:
I didnt do physics coz i dint like all this velocity stuff, so when i started yr 12 i thought i got away from physics and that id neva see it again, until i got a rude shock in 4u one day, and discovered theres a whole bloody topic on that crap...alothough i do believe it is xtremely relevant and helpful in real life applications, i believe the true benefit is limited to those planning to do engineering, not ppl who r gonna do commerce
Ironically you would have been better off doing physics instead:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)