• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Circle Geometry Question :) (1 Viewer)

maxwellbeh

HSC
N/A
Question: Two parallel tangents to a circle, centre O, are cut a P and Q by a third tangent.
Find the size of angle POQ.

I have drawn the diagram and used theorems like tangents cut at external point; radius-tangent theorem. But this is not working.
I really appreciate it if someone could explain this question to me. :)

fquintus

HSC
Question: Two parallel tangents to a circle, centre O, are cut a P and Q by a third tangent.

I have drawn the diagram and used theorems like tangents cut at external point; radius-tangent theorem. But this is not working.
Use the diagram, where i constructed a few lines like the radius to tangents OA OB OC: http://tinypic.com/r/2ecjkeh/4
Let angle AOP=ø

First step, OAP=90degrees (because line from centre to tangent is perpendicular to tangent)
Same for OCP=90 degrees
Hence, you can say that OAPC is a cyclic quadrilateral (opposite sides are supplementary)
and because OAPC is cyclic quad, then 2ø = 180- angleAPC (opp sides of cyclic quad)
which can be rewritten as 2ø = CQB or 2ø = CQO+OQB (cointerior angles of parallel lines are supplementary, therefore 180-APC=CQB)
Then you can prove that triangle OCQ is congruent to triangle OBQ using RHS with common hypotenuse, radii and 90 degrees created from line from centre to tangent, thus COQ=BOQ and CQO=OQB
COQ+CQO=90 (angle sum of triangle =180, where angle OCQ=90 because line from centre to tangent=90)
Which can be rewritten as ø+ COQ = 90...which is also the same as POQ
Therefore POQ =90 degrees.

Sorry if it is confusing, but really hard to explain circle geo questions in this way. Probably an easier way.

mac1996

HSC

show me the diagram

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)