Citizenship - The Citizenship Testing Discussion Paper (3 Viewers)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
banco55 said:
Agreed. I frankly think talking about western values versus australian values is probably more helpful. We don't want immigrants who have serious qualms with regards to western values or an antipathy towards western values. Unfortunately you can't test for that. If for example you believe that the mullahocracy in Iran is a good form of government or you think Saudi Arabia's attitude to religious freedom/women's rights is admirable I hope you aren't allowed to become a citizen.
I thought freedom of thought was a western value too...

I have no problems with people who believe Iran's system of government is superior, or restrictions on religious freedom/women's rights. The fact they think that creates diversity in this world.

You don't need to accept every Australian law to respect and follow it.

banco55

HSC
poloktim said:
I thought freedom of thought was a western value too...

I have no problems with people who believe Iran's system of government is superior, or restrictions on religious freedom/women's rights. The fact they think that creates diversity in this world.

You don't need to accept every Australian law to respect and follow it.
That would be as dumb as taking in large numbers of fascists in the 1930's for the sake of diversity.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
banco55 said:
I know but in China only 1-2% are muslims and in vietnam it's probably even lower so if you allow 50000 chinese to immigrate versus 50000 yemenis which group do you think is likely to contain far more muslim nutcases?
So 1 billion muslims - what percentage of those muslims do you think are 'nutcases'? 1%? And now how many actually migrate here?

banco55

HSC
HotShot said:
So 1 billion muslims - what percentage of those muslims do you think are 'nutcases'? 1%? And now how many actually migrate here?
Depends which area of the world you're drawing them from. The arab muslims seem to have a higher percentage of nutcases than just about any other area.

As for how many are nutcases this poll of british muslims is telling. Unfortunatley I know of no comparable data for australian muslims.

"Four out of 10 British Muslims want sharia law introduced into parts of the country, a survey reveals today.
The ICM opinion poll also indicates that a fifth have sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the suicide bombers who attacked London last July 7, killing 52 people, although 99 per cent thought the bombers were wrong to carry out the atrocity.

Overall, the findings depict a Muslim community becoming more radical and feeling more alienated from mainstream society, even though 91 per cent still say they feel loyal to Britain."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/19/nsharia19.xml

HotShot

-_-
HSC
banco55 said:
Depends which area of the world you're drawing them from. The arab muslims seem to have a higher percentage of nutcases than just about any other area.

As for how many are nutcases this poll of british muslims is telling. Unfortunatley I know of no comparable data for australian muslims.

"Four out of 10 British Muslims want sharia law introduced into parts of the country, a survey reveals today.
The ICM opinion poll also indicates that a fifth have sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the suicide bombers who attacked London last July 7, killing 52 people, although 99 per cent thought the bombers were wrong to carry out the atrocity.

Overall, the findings depict a Muslim community becoming more radical and feeling more alienated from mainstream society, even though 91 per cent still say they feel loyal to Britain."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/19/nsharia19.xml
What polls says is more muslims in britain are becoming nutcases, rather than suggesting that muslims from arab nations are nutcases. Thats all its saying - it makes sense with britain involvement and alliance to Israel, america in afghanistan and iraq.

Whats happening is people are losing trust in their government - and in their society.

None of this talk had occured ever in the past - such incidents bombings etc, were only restricted to Palestine and Israel. Its escalations in that area mainly caused by western power - because they are the ones who hold the power to make something happen that have cause distrust.

is a nutcases? someone who speaks out his opinion against his government's motives? I think Britain has the highest percentage of depressed people in the world or something like that? (it was showing with trescothick and harmison)

HSC
I really don't think we should be exlcuding people or placing greater immigration controls on people based on ethnicity.
Instead of saying let's restrict Muslim immigration we should be saying let's restrict the immigration of Muslims who can be shown to be a security risk and we should do the same for everyone.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i support the citizenship test, sounds a bit like the white aust policy but the truth is, if you don't learn the language used in this country, what good are you living here and become one of us? it is a basic request which frankly, should be implemented without question. in regard to knowing the background and history of aust, that's essential as well. this is like knowing the heritage and culture of the immigrant's native country. now that you've adopted aust as your home, you should know your share of its history as well.

VOTE YES TO TEST

Napstar

Banned
HSC
I got a lift from a pretty cool taxi driver who had a menacing beard. Muslim? Perhaps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)