city 2nd preference (1 Viewer)

HSC
Nope definately don't regret it. The lecturers ive had and what i have learnt this year has been amazing! Ive been on clinical 4 times and its reassured me early into the degree that nursing is what i want to do (even though at times its been scary doing things for the first time).

I guess cause i really just wanted to get straight into nursing and UTS got us into the hosp setting early on and it also has the sub-major in 3rd of paediatrics, which im really interested in too.

I guess i cant really be disappointed as i havent experienced Usyd and UTS has been great.

upright

HSC
N/A
Sydney Uni has a 3 year B. Nursing degree/course?

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
They stopped the B. of Nursing degree at Usyd in 2004... don't know why though.

I think after a day walking around the info booths that UTS is the Uni for me. I really want to see if nursing is really what I want to do and their early clinical placement which usyd doesnt offer is great so im going uts FTW! lol.

Does UTS offer masters after b. of nursing or would I have to do it at a diff. uni?

gracie007

HSC
sydney uni only offers master of nursing and u must do it as a combined degree with something else, either arts , science or health science degree. as if youd want to be at uni that long that would be terrible

i hope i get into uts when i check my offers. i cant wait. im going to kurringgai because its only around 10 mins from my house (driving).
its only really a bitch to get it if u dont have a car or if ur coming from far south/west. frmo the city its pretty easy to get to via train.
does anyone (current students) have a first year timetable they could post up for an idea of class times etc?

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
gracie007 said:
sydney uni only offers master of nursing and u must do it as a combined degree with something else, either arts , science or health science degree. as if youd want to be at uni that long that would be terrible

i hope i get into uts when i check my offers. i cant wait. im going to kurringgai because its only around 10 mins from my house (driving).
its only really a bitch to get it if u dont have a car or if ur coming from far south/west. frmo the city its pretty easy to get to via train.
does anyone (current students) have a first year timetable they could post up for an idea of class times etc?
I think I'm going to do a masters as a post grad.

Oh you're really lucky that its only 10 mins away driving. Both campuses are pretty far from me [30-45 mins on a good day away for city by train] since im from the inner west.

I hope I get in too... main rounds end tonight!

HSC
Goodluck guys!!!

Yea u can continue with post grad studies at UTS which include different diploma things in speciality areas and then masters etc

My first year timetable for semester one for the city campus was as follows:
Monday: patho 12-2 (lab) 2-5pm (lec)
Tues: OFF
Weds: 9-11 (nursing lec- Adult nursing) 11-1 (nursing lec- discipline of nursing)
Thurs: 9-11 (Nursing lab)
Fri: 9-11 (nursing lab) 11-1 (tut- discipline)

However the way the days are structured this yr may change and there are alot of diff combos u can pic when u want ur classes to be, i just prefer getting everything done in the morning so ive got the rest of the day to work and yea

For KG ppl i think they had fridays off and went to uni on tuesdays

~kiki

HSC
ok- I know this is probably abit late now, but if you put the city uts as your first pref but didn't make the cutoff, your second pref would be considered equally. This means that even if you put the Kuringai campus as your second preference, you may receive the place over someone who put Kuringai as their first preference, provided that your uai is higher. They actually mentioned how the preferencing works on the uac website.

"If you are not selected for your first Commonwealth-supported place (CSP) preference you will be considered equally with all other eligible applicants for your second CSP preference and so on. Similarly, if you are not selected for your first domestic fee-paying (DFEE) preference you will be considered equally with all other eligible applicants for your second DFEE preference and so on"

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
^ thanks for the info there kiki.

lectures go past 2:30pm? I knew that! lol... missing high school already haha.

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
5pm isnt late [...omg... lol]

is there alot of students that do nursing that are from the insearch program?.. would they go to the city or KG course?

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
oh ok

Something that has been playing on my mind is the immunisation thing. They require you, by law, to have certain vaccinations. I haven't had relatively new vaccinations recently besides the cervical cancer one so are they referring to the ones you got when you were young [the ones in your blue book? if so, i lost that book!] or are they talking about something else?

Also, are there class photos in uni [very random i know

And lastly, when does semester 1 start? Is it the same for all?

Last edited:

upright

HSC
N/A
shanti96 said:
oh ok

Something that has been playing on my mind is the immunisation thing. They require you, by law, to have certain vaccinations. I haven't had relatively new vaccinations recently besides the cervical cancer one so are they referring to the ones you got when you were young [the ones in your blue book? if so, i lost that book!] or are they talking about something else?

Also, are there class photos in uni [very random i know

And lastly, when does semester 1 start? Is it the same for all?
I don't remember class photos in 1st and 2nd year.

Semester 1 starts Feb 25.

HSC
ok firstly the immunisation card is a NSW health paper thing that you should get at orientation or one of those days. And basically you have to go to the doc and get it all filled out if uve had the injections recently or ur immune e.g. chicken pox. Best to start this early when u get it, cause some of the vaccines take a few months to get such a hep B.

B) There are no class photos, well not that i knew of lol

C) And semester 1 starts sometime end of feb, ull get all that info when u enrol :)

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
Does it have to be your GP or any doc b/c I dont have a family GP?

Thanks for answering the Q's girls :)

gracie007

HSC
big thankyou to lil georgie gal for posting her timetable! I like the look of it very much! so much better than doing science...argh i had to go in 23 hours a week :S
looks like nursing is a lot less than that! especially good seeing as i get soo tiredd..

HSC
Any doc can do the vaccines just as long as u follow some of them up with the same person (some require triple dose etc), so yea its upto u :)

And no probs gracie007, yea its about 16hrs a week contact time for nursing, the extra time comes in handy for studying etc

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
So how far into the semester were you in when you first started until clinical placement? And does the nurse uniform differ from each hospital?
And with these vaccinations
Adult Diphtheria,Tetanus and Pertussis
Hepatitis B (plus blood tests)
Measles / Mumps / Rubella
Varicella (chicken pox)
Tuberculosis (Tuberculosis screening is conducted at your local area health chest clinic after referral from your local doctor and must be rescreened every five years as a minimum or more frequently if advised)
Influenza (Strongly Recommended)

did you have to get them all done in your first year or had you already had some done in previous years?

And when do you start practicing on people how to do injections and catheterisations? I admit, I'm a little scared with the catheters..

lots of questions I know...sorry!

Last edited:

upright

HSC
N/A
shanti96 said:
So how far into the semester were you in when you first started until clinical placement? And does the nurse uniform differ from each hospital?

And when do you start practicing on people how to do injections and catheterisations? I admit, I'm a little scared with the catheters....
Clinical placement for 1st year last year, started on week 4 or 5.

UTS Nursing has its own uniform (polo shirt and trousers/skirt).

Injections - 2nd Year, 1st Semester

Catheters - 2nd Year, 2nd Semester

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
Thank you so much! I like to get the jist of the whole program so thnx.

So is the first semester more or less about ethics and nursing principles?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)