"City Of God" appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

wow. for anyone who watched the film, can safely say , its a masterpiece. The acting is flawless and the storyline is deep and gets you involved.
So yeh if you like the flick like i do , leave a post and say how good it was

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Saw it a while ago, and it's incredible. One of my favourite films

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
City of God is indeed a fine, thought provoking film. I was so intrigued by the favela (slum) gangster culture of Rio that I wrote one of my feature writing articles for class on it. It was top stuff. If you have time, make sure you check out some of the Brazilian gangster-techno-hip hop that's starting to make its way out on to American shores. Very cool stuff.

On the acting- it was convincing, but I don't know if it's necessarily all that praiseworthy. Most, if not all of the actors were themselves Brazilian mafiosos that director Fernando Meirelles picked up off the streets of Rio (or was it Sao Paulo?), so they weren't exactly playing roles that were foreign to them.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
yes , but most of the actors were children or teenagers, and without acting experience, it was very realistic acting

icecreamdisco

HSC
great film, no doubt about that. i'm wondering if it'll hold up on second viewing, though.

Iago

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
great film, no doubt about that. i'm wondering if it'll hold up on second viewing, though.
imo it does very much so, in comparison oddly to a tim burton picture. there is an awful lot going on "behind the scenes" of the foreground story/action that is lost on 1st viewing, that you can appreciate and realise the 2nd/3rd time round. there are subplots and small pieces of location that are only truly noticed after you've taken in the key narrative.

i thought this was a superb film, best of 2002. it interestingly reminded me of one of ritchie's UK ganster fares, with similar editing style and so on.. but it was far more controlled and at the same time more restrained than a ritchie picture.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Just a reminder - this great film is on SBS tonight at 9:30.

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
I started a thread on this luverly little movie about a year ago, and about 4 people replied.

for shame i say

Excellent, excellent movie.

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
such a great movie. i love how they got actors around the actual age of the characters...i'm sick of seeing actors in their mid twenties playing teenagers. i like how they didn't sugar coat how violent young kids- the runts are getting too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)