CityRail Discussion (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
I travel on the train one hour each way for four days a week (8 hours a week). Total travelling time is 2 hours each way to go to uni, which is a lot. This includes getting dropped off at the local station and then catching a bus from central. But overall, I think CityRail is doing a fantastic job in my case. :D

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
XcarvengerX said:
I don't know about you, but I have a lot of grudge to this government organisation...:burn:

I know if there is no train, then it will be even worse, but if I have to wait more than an hour without inform me first, then I think I can always find a better way to my destination.

I am travelling using CityRail at least an hour everyday (at least 4 trains) and the percentage of late* trains is about 90%.

*According to CityRail, the term "late" indicates a train that is more than 5 minutes off the allocated timetable.

I can't change it. I am a captive of CityRail.:mad1:
Well I travel 2 hours on Cityrail a day, though only two trains.
At least you being in the city (Your location says Bondi) doesnt mean you have to wait an HOUR between trains when its offpeak/weekends.

Do you have to put up with trackwork too?
Catching buses? Meaning I have to leave school almost 40 minutes earlier to get back to my station at the same time that i'd just catch a train?
They told me to add an extra 35 minutes one way.
Thats next week too. Great. I have a DEBATE on Friday that i'll probably be late to because of their incompetencies with running coaches (not to say the least..trains)

I'm also a captive of this shittyrail madness.
I have to give them credit though..in peak hour they tend to run on time, and if not, say for instance like on Wednesday there was total signal failure at Hawkesbury River, they pile you on the next train ..delay it ...and try to get everyone to their destination on time....
They try.
Just i'm so sick of this debarcle, you'd think as i've caught trains since year 7, they'd have improved a bit more.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
NSW has the worst railway system in the world. they dont have that many services per day, for example there is one service on average per half an hour. where as in other countries services run every few minutes.

also the nsw cityrail, is one of the most expensive, costing nearly double than that ouf perth system.

its crap basically. bus is better.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Not a bad set up in my opinion. Some closer stops to home for me if it were to be implemented. :p

The cancellation of that set of stations around macquarie was disappointing.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
city rail is the WORST. they say a train comes in 5mins, but it ends up coming in 10-15mins = = ;;

HotShot

-_-
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
city rail is the WORST. they say a train comes in 5mins, but it ends up coming in 10-15mins = = ;;
lol,

wats worse, they tell the train is late after the train is late (i think its pretty damn obvious by then). if they told us earlier, we might have arranged other types of transport. but they tell us after the train is late.

a lot of problems for a small railway system my solution is simply:
build more trains, keep it going every ten minutes.

missylicious

HSC
i h8 public transport altogether .. sucha waste of time but sadly i must depend on it coz i cant drive =(
i live a five to ten minute drive to school. wen i catch the bus it takes almost an hr to get to skool.
get up
catch a bus -w8 for 5-10 mins .. on the bus 15 mins
w8 for a train -10 mins .. 2 mins of train ride.
then wlk for 10 mins .
and wen the train is delayed its a major piss off =(
my sis lives in london and she tells me public transport is more speedy there and quite popular. good on the Brits, aye?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Rafy said:
This is what the Christie Report, commissioned by the NSW government (http://www.aptnsw.org.au/christie/) recommended a few years back:

Holy shit. This setup would mean a train from my suburb straight to UNSW. That'd be sweeeeeet. As it is at the moment I have to rely on buses because there's no line in my area.

salsydney

HSC
that train map is the ULTIMATE. we should never ever expect it, since cityrail sucks so bad. but imagine how much sydneysider's lives would change with that kind of public transport... castle hill would finally have a much needed public transport outlet, bondi beach would finally be serviced with a train line, as would dee why... Areas in the west, such as cranebrook (which is where I went to high school) would have a train line, which would dramatically change the demands placed on the bus services in the west... and of course, train stations at major university campuses, like macquarise, UTS Kuringai, and the beloved UNSW...

ahhh we can only dream.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
I thought we used to have a train service at Bondi Beach... long ago before we used the underground tunnel.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
This is what the Christie Report, commissioned by the NSW government (http://www.aptnsw.org.au/christie/) recommended a few years back:

That would be unimaginably convenient - anyone know how far the government plans to run with that kind of idea? Considering we're getting the MQ stuff which is on there, any other innovations that are in the works? *hopes*

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
kami said:
That would be unimaginably convenient - anyone know how far the government plans to run with that kind of idea? Considering we're getting the MQ stuff which is on there, any other innovations that are in the works? *hopes*
Well that was a long term recommendation. Chrisitie says that if there were both the political will and money to do it, it could be all done within 40 years.

If the government were to do it, it would be done in small seperate stages, each line as an individual project. The problem is finding the money to do it, and there seems to be a lack of will on behalf of governments to build such things at the moment.

However, they do have 3 lines shown in the report in planning or under construction.

1. The Chatswood-Epping Line. (The government has said it will consider the Epping-Parramatta part of the project when the chatswood section is complete). The UTS Kuringgai station will likely never be built. Although originally planned, the green groups protested against the cut and cover tunnel through that area. This means that a tunnel will have to go under the lane cove river, which will be too far below ground to put a station.

2. The Castle hill line. Apparently in planning at the moment. Close to a decade before it will be finished though. They are assesing the viability of extending it further to Rouse Hill.

3. Glenfield - Bringelly. This line looks like it will definately be built. There are no tunnels likely to be required, so costs will be low.

- They were planning the Bondi Beach Extension as well, but local residents complained about it and the project was scrapped for the moment.

And thats about as far as governments will commit. Although i'm sure you'll see many of those lines christie recommended eventually been built. Its just not going to happen all tomorrow.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Excellent discussion Rafy. I could add a lot more....but maybe at a later point in time lol. I think Rafy covered most of the facts.

You know, back in the old days, there was actually a train line going out to the Castle Hill area. If they had kept that land reservation, then all would be good! Same with out past Richmond (though that area isn't as built up yet). Also, there used to be a line out to Camdem as well, going through some built up areas like Narellan and Elderslie. Not on the same alignment as the currently proposed Leppington line, which is closer to Liverpool than Campbelltown, but again, if they had kept this reservation too then it would be good. Whether these lines were just freight or carried passengers I'm not sure, but wouldn't have mattered as they would be converted. Oh well, lol. It's amazing to think that the rail network used to be more "extensive" 50-100 years ago than it is now...

In regards to the Christie Report, I've read most of of it and its an excellent report. The best thing to come out since J.C.C Bradfield's ideas :D. Too bad half of it isn't built yet as recommended. Christie's Report is missing a north-south line linking the main western line (Strathfield) with the Bankstown line, East Hills line, to Hurstville. This would be a great addition to that map and something that has been suggested in other reports.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh yes another thing,
The government last year reserved two underground rail corridors through the city.

These corridors follow the path of christie's proposed Park Street-Chifley Square line (Black line) as well as the Sussex Street-Haymarket-Sydney University Line.

Those are the first 2 projects that are likely to be investigated after the current projects are complete.

http://www.metrostrategy.nsw.gov.au/dev/digitalAssets/1621_1143781831174_cbdrail.pdf

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
lol,

wats worse, they tell the train is late after the train is late (i think its pretty damn obvious by then). if they told us earlier, we might have arranged other types of transport. but they tell us after the train is late.

a lot of problems for a small railway system my solution is simply:
build more trains, keep it going every ten minutes.
they said they would fix all their problems by 2010 lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)