Civil engineering/architecture (1 Viewer)

wgy182

HSC
Hey Bos,
What is the difference between B engineering Honours(civil)/ B design in architecture at usyd and B engineering( civil with architecture) at Unsw?

Which course is better in terms of job opportunities and professors?

If I chose those courses, does that mean I can be a civil engineer and an architect?

Anyone that done/ currently doing those courses, what are your experiences?

Also does civil engineering(leaning towards structural engineering) and architecture go well together?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks guys

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
dun do it

everybody that I have spoken to that has done it says its terrabad

D94

HSC
N/A
Hey Bos,
What is the difference between B engineering Honours(civil)/ B design in architecture at usyd and B engineering( civil with architecture) at Unsw?
The USYD one is a combined degree, i.e. you get 2 degrees at the end of your undergraduate study; you do a degree in Engineering, and a degree in Design (majoring in Architecture). The UNSW one has Architecture electives in the Civil Engineering degree - it's just one degree.

Which course is better in terms of job opportunities and professors?
wot? A professor is an academic rank; you will almost certainly need a PhD nowadays, so it wouldn't really matter what your undergraduate degree/s was/were.

As for job opportunities, it depends on what job. But in Australia, experience is valued more than your degree. There are no major advantages or disadvantages of doing either.

If I chose those courses, does that mean I can be a civil engineer and an architect?
No. An accredited civil engineering student requires 60 days of experience before graduation, and then they are arguably qualified to hold the role of a civil engineer; an architect requires a Masters in Architecture (~2 year course) in order to be certified, so the USYD combined degree should be engineering focused, not architecture focused, otherwise you will have to spend a further 2 years (on top of the 5) in order to be a certified architect.

Generally, you will either be an engineering or an architect, rarely both. What's the return on value of being a certified architect over 3 years of engineering work? After say a 1 year grad program, you would be a Stage 1 engineer by your 3rd year out of university, as opposed to just finishing your Masters in Architecture. Just my 2c.

Last edited:

wgy182

HSC
The USYD one is a combined degree, i.e. you get 2 degrees at the end of your undergraduate study; you do a degree in Engineering, and a degree in Design (majoring in Architecture). The UNSW one has Architecture electives in the Civil Engineering degree - it's just one degree.

wot? A professor is an academic rank; you will almost certainly need a PhD nowadays, so it wouldn't really matter what your undergraduate degree/s was/were.

As for job opportunities, it depends on what job. But in Australia, experience is valued more than your degree. There are no major advantages or disadvantages of doing either.

No. An accredited civil engineering student requires 60 days of experience before graduation, and then they are arguably qualified to hold the role of a civil engineer; an architect requires a Masters in Architecture (~2 year course) in order to be certified, so the USYD combined degree should be engineering focused, not architecture focused, otherwise you will have to spend a further 2 years (on top of the 5) in order to be a certified architect.

Generally, you will either be an engineering or an architect, rarely both. What's the return on value of being a certified architect over 3 years of engineering work? After say a 1 year grad program, you would be a Stage 1 engineer by your 3rd year out of university, as opposed to just finishing your Masters in Architecture. Just my 2c.
Thanks a lot.
Doesn't the combined degree at usyd includes 3 years of civil engineering and 2 years of architect?
So bachelor in architecture is not enough to be certified as an architect? What do I do with this major if I didn't choose to continue to do masters?

wgy182

HSC

I meant the professors teaching the courses, like which uni has better professors.

D94

HSC
N/A
Thanks a lot.
Doesn't the combined degree at usyd includes 3 years of civil engineering and 2 years of architect?
So bachelor in architecture is not enough to be certified as an architect? What do I do with this major if I didn't choose to continue to do masters?
Well when I said 3 year of engineering work, it was the 1 extra year on top of a single 4 year engineering degree + the 2 years of Masters.

You need a Masters; a Bachelors will not suffice for certification/registration. You just have that Design degree in Architecture. I think you meant 'what can I do', for which the answer could be something related to civil engineering and the design aspect of it. I'm sure if you do a Google search, you will find possible jobs for a BDesArch.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I meant the professors teaching the courses, like which uni has better professors.
Pretty subjective and I'm sure unless you have undertaken both programs at both universities, you won't have a clue which has better professors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)