civil engineering USYD (1 Viewer)

QnTiria

HSC
My dad (mechanical/chemical engineer) warned me that it's impossible/very very hard to get HD's in engineering since phys/maths etc is so difficult, imploring me to do dentistry at UQ.
Any civil engineer students have any thoughts?

(I did 4U maths- 91) (HSC physics is a joke)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Out of curiosity, why is he deciding on whether a particular degree program is adequate or not based on how easy it is to get a HD.

Not to put down your father, but don't you think it's a bit narrow-minded?

kcqn93

HSC
Maths is quite easy.

However with Civil, you'll have to do Mechanics, Statics and Dynamics etc. which I have heard are very difficult. The person at info told me that he had failed Dynamics twice or something. That being said, it's not impossible to get HD. Just don't slack off.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If you got a band 6 in 4unit you should be fine with civil engineering.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Dynamics is not a compulsory unit for Civil Engineering at USyd. You can see a typical course menu at http://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-degree-page/degree_id/4

Maths is quite easy.

However with Civil, you'll have to do Mechanics, Statics and Dynamics etc. which I have heard are very difficult. The person at info told me that he had failed Dynamics twice or something. That being said, it's not impossible to get HD. Just don't slack off.

QnTiria

HSC
Also, does jobs in civil involve heaps of fieldwork? They insist I might have to camp out in the middle of nowhere to take soil samples or something. Are they delusional, or should I give them the benefit of doubt?

Validity

HSC
Also, does jobs in civil involve heaps of fieldwork? They insist I might have to camp out in the middle of nowhere to take soil samples or something. Are they delusional, or should I give them the benefit of doubt?
civil has to do that? i thought that was for enviro engineers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)