Civil/Structural Engineering (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
All engineering courses recommends 3 unit mathematics.

To sum everything up.

General Math: Your screwed, or you can study your ass off.
2unit math: Recommended as minimum, still need a lot of study at uni.
3unit math: Very good, ordinary study at uni.
4unit math: Quote from my lecturer "Students here who have done 4 unit maths in high school don't necessarily need to come to class, although its up to you"
Very true.

+1 cause I love the engineering skills in the photos! XD
That's a bridge I'm willing to cross.... you've even found a new kind of bridge... stuff cable bridges, mega blocks is the way of the future.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Avoid thinking about specific topics and consider "competency".

At uni it is going to be expected automatically that you are competent, confident and correct in fields such as algebra, differentiation/integration, graphing, statistics, geometry and trigonometry.

While a lower level maths course might include a topic on say trigonometry, and you might remember a couple of equations, you are certainly not going to be as competent, confident and correct as a 3U student.

A 3 week bridging course is probably not going to make up for not doing 3U maths for 2 years in years 11 & 12.

It is always my blanket recommendation to students that 3U maths is assumed knowledge, and that 2U students must do a briding course and work very, very hard on maths. I would actively recommend against a 2U General maths student from engineering.

Universities set assumed knowledge standards for a reason, however they wont set them as an absolute set in stone pre-requisite.

Miss Winey

HSC
undoubtedly, having a deep sound knowledge of maths is important to any engineering degree.

But what about people who did maths in high school, did something else, then wanna do engineering later in life?
What about people who only did general maths and want to do higher maths?

Not all is lost if you only have a basic knowledge of maths. you can still be an engineer.

At the university of Sydney (and I'm sure they have something similar at other institutions) we have things called
1. Bridging courses
2. Maths learning centre.

to explain.
1. bridging course = a short course in teh holiday to teach you everything you need to know for the required prerequisite (so they don't teach you stuff you don't need. ie permutations)

2. Maths learning centre = a library/room where there are extra tutorials, online help learning material, extra tutors always avaliable to people who haven't done maths in a while or who require extra help.

No doubt, not having done 3U will mean you will be disadvantaged.
However, I honestly believing the best mathematian WILL NOT be the best engineer. For engineering is much more about logical thinking, creative problem solving spatial and critical thinking that the ability to prove alpha beta sigma blahblah equals someother random greek ensemble.

All the eiganvalue, statistics, double integral stuff i learnt in first and second year, i HAVE NOT TOUCHED later in my engineering degree.

My advice - if you're prepared to put the effort in - go for it!
Help if out there - look for it :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i'm pretty sure all unis have extra tuts lol

Statical

HSC
What particular part of the HSC Physics syllabus do Civil Engineering courses use? The projectile motion stuff and newtons laws and that stuff?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hahahahhahaha basically none.

forget everything hsc physics mate, really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)