Clarinet for 2007 HSC (1 Viewer)

crono26

HSC
Well Who's doing playing Clarinet? Im doing Music 2 and Ext... Been playing clarinet for 5 years and just completed AMus.

If so whats your program like? I'm pretty pschyed for it but going away for 3 weeks now... hate to think what my embrouchure will be like when i get back!

My subjects are 3u english, 3u maths, 3u music, 2u chem and 2u phys...

anyone wants to chat about it, add me jjaammeess@gmail.com..

babylupin

HSC
lol i play clarinet...although i've been playing for about 2 years...yet luckily just completed my grade 6 (i got an A! yay *dances*)
you're obviously much more experienced grade wise than me lol
i do 3 unit music, Ad. English, Ancient History, Bio and Chem

what are you doing for your extension music?

jdevlin

annoyingly calm
HSC
Doing 8th Grade Clarinet... Music Ext...

What pieces are you playing?

For Core I"m playing the first movement of Brumby's Sonatina

For Extension
I'm playing the first Movement of Weber's F Minor Concerto

2nd Movement of the Mozart K.622
And a piece by a Gypsy group called DOCH... the Monkey, it's in 11/16 and is the most psycho piece for Clarinet ever. Not an Exaggeration... Rebecca Craner, who's their Clarinet is ridiculously amazing... sadly I'm not as good as her, so the piece isn't nearly as cool... but nonetheless

You're a fellow Clarinet, so I'll tell some cool things I've learnt recently...

1) Get a Hold of "Clarinet and Clarinet Playing" by David Pino, it's a brilliant book with some really useful tips, especially if you're like the majority of Clarinetists and MsSuck at tonguing

2) Van Doren make a box...a very useful box... It's a reed case, but it's a controlled humidity box... It's completely got rif of most of my reed problems... you should have a look

Last edited:

quadrian

HSC
Hey! I did Music extension on Clarinet as well - Purely performance - sort of bad idea as i got tired by the last piece and messed it up a bit....

Pieces were:
- Gerald Finzi - Five Bagatelles - no. I - Prelude
- Weber - Concerto No 1 - 1st Movement in F minor
- 3 of the 9 'Keating Tangos' (obviously Australian)
Ian Munro -The Tango We had to Have,
Kent Farbach - Tango Republic
Russell Gilmour - Scumbag Tango
- Joseph Horovitz - Sonatina - 3rd Movement
- Brahms Clarinet Trio - Andante Grazioso - for Piano, Cello and Clarinet in A
(I transposed it and played it on my Bb)
- Reszo Kokai - Four Hungarian Dances - 'Fresh' (last movement)

Thanks for the info about the Vandoren reed box, I'll keep it in mind, as long as someone here in Newcastle actually sells them.

I've done 8th grade in yr 11 and have elected Arts/Music at Newcastle Con/Uni, but am finding it a bit daunting that i can''t really play any other instruments or read or understand chords.

ALSO, with the reeds, has your teacher ever told you the toothpaste method to revive a once good reed that's gone soggy? Coat it and rub it in, then rinse and wipe along the grain with a towel to dry, and it should be ok again for a day or two - useful for when a reed gives up just before a concert or exam. It takes the oil off it and allows the wood to breathe again.

quadrian

HSC
How were your performances??

Haha, as it was my first HSC experience, I forgot the whole mobile phone thing - I turned it off of course, but had it in my pocket, and the lady saw it in my pocket and snapped at me half way through my exam ( between pieces of course) and told me to get it outside!! She then thought she had put me off, and was apologetic.
We had 3 adjudicators as the regional supervisor was there.. bit intimidating..

They asked me at the end if I had any questions, so I asked, out of friendliness and curiosity, what instruments they played (and it can lead to slightly biased marking, for example if one of them played clarinet, they would know the limits and capabilities and mark accordingly, whereas if none of them did, they might not understand some things), and she snapped at me again!!
"That's irrelevant!" Haha, i said bye and got out as soon as i could after that before they decided to take marks off me.. and my friends laughed at me when i told them.....

Does anyone remember the name of the piece in the Music 2 Paper before the stupid one about maths and numbers? Was it called Prelude? Who was it by? I liked it. Either i left my score behind, or we weren't allowed to keep that part...but I'd like to find out

Music 1 got to answer questions on Architecture in helsinki - The Owls Go - i wish we could've hey!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)