Clarke winning the AB medal... (1 Viewer)

kirabolton

HSC
It pissed me off! Now, i don't have anything against Clarke, i think he is a fantastic player and thoroughly deserved the one day player of the year, but i really believe Martyn should have won.

They said tests weigh for more of the outcome and ergh...well what do you guys think?

matt#1

HSC
N/A
kirabolton said:
It pissed me off! Now, i don't have anything against Clarke, i think he is a fantastic player and thoroughly deserved the one day player of the year, but i really believe Martyn should have won.

They said tests weigh for more of the outcome and ergh...well what do you guys think?
I could'nt agree more with you. I also havent got anything against Clarke...but I believe that Martyn would have been a more worthy recipient this year.

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
*As posted from another thread*

As for Marto, yeh he was a touch unlucky considering he hasn't much time left in his career (compared to MC), but I suppose a lot of his runs came in games where other players scored the runs as well. Eg, scoring 105 when the team scores 580.
I used to hate marto cause he always used to score runs when you didn't need him to - when the team is winning and not in those pressure situations. He has since showed (the India series) then to be a very classy and mentally tough batsman, worthy of the test player of the year.
But in both forms, over the year, Clarke was the better player - with the bat, with the ball, and in the field. Clarke's batting position in both forms of the game were at 6 (and usually 7 in one-dayers)(before the vb series) and considering the fact that he has often limited time to get set - e.g. establish a partnership and play his game with <15 overs remaining he still maintains averages >48 in tests and one-dayers. If Martyn and Clarke had swapped positions and Clarke bat at 4 (the latter which will happen in the future) he would have this time to set himself and build large innings'. Martyn wouldn't.
Yes, Martyn is very unfortunate not to get the medal, but IMO his innings' rode too much on the back of other players' performances. Perhaps if Clarke didn't get that 75* the night before the medal was Marto's for the taking.

But clearly the medal was Clarkes.

Last edited:

firehose

HSC
Martyn definitely should've got it, he had a better average and Clarke has so many more chances to get the medal in his budding career anyway

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
The only possible explanation is that Clarke outperformed Martyn in one dayers, but even then their average is pretty much the same for last year. I guess Clarkes bowling pushed him over the line as he had a 6 wicket innings in a test and a 5 wicket innings in a one day match

kirabolton

HSC
Yeah, I kind of see you're point but i still think it's unlucky for Martyn who i believe really deserved it. I also think that the medal should be based on other things other than pure statistics, but then i'm just annoyed because martyn didn't win it. It's not like Clarke won't win it in the future either...well...he might not but he has a very good chance of winning it.

...and in response to someone about Langer etc. Langer didn't really have a chance in hell of winning it because he's not in the one day team. He obviously could have won the test player of the year and maybe if he got a bazillion test player points and the one day points were spread even across the board he might have had a chance but thats extremley unlikely and therefore winning it is equally as unlikely.

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
Statistics are not a factor in the Allan Border Medal. Those who actually watched it would know that votes are tallied after each game in a performance-based style.
No-one cares about averages, just the match performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)