Class composition (1 Viewer)

pete shearman

HSC
i'm in first year at melbourne and was surprised to find that there's fewer 2006 school graduates in my classes than what i expected.

those who have just left yr 12 are outnumbered by internationals and transferees - at least in my two classes. i thought we would have been in the majority.

does anyone know the breakdown between first year CSP, internationals, tranferees and full fee payers?

i'm interested in knowing because in arts it's very different - everyone with the exception of one from my two classes is a first year.

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey man,
How's work? Someone said you worked at Melb Central Safeway, that's really convenient. Anyway in regard to your question, I heard:
40% Internationals
15% Transferees
15% Full Fee and Access Melbourne
30% CSP

banco55

HSC
Your class demographics seem really different to ANU law.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
99 per cent asian

pete shearman

HSC
hey trishan yeh it's a decent place to work.

i live at one of the melbourne colleges so i can afford to slot in three 4 hour shifts a week there on top of a regular 3 hour shift in the college kitchen. it's fairly close (20 min walk) though the last coles i worked at was 40 seconds from my house.

i've seen alex chapman from LMR at coles and the smiley australian asian girl (can't remember her name) in PPL - usually sitting in the centre crescent. maybe some others have seen me i dunno. who did you hear it from?

i reckon we have a large number of CSP students in our PPL class - maybe that's why it did so well against the other classes in the essay. in LMR there's a really small group of CSP and about 40% of the class is asian (not quite the 99% at ANU). i feel sorry for some of them - this one girl had written fewer than 10 essays in english before she came to melbourne.

i promise i'll say hi next time we have class. i know where you sit. lol. on the end of bloke alley.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
pete shearman said:
i feel sorry for some of them - this one girl had written fewer than 10 essays in english before she came to melbourne..
Honestly, I hope she fails. Really, it was her choice to read law and if you're under prepared especially in one of the most vital tools - language - you're going to be a terrible solicitor.

I have a feeling she won't because most universities have raging hard-ons for international fee-paying students.

pete shearman

HSC
it's the uni to blame. not the students who go there. melbourne is willing to take the international money and either fail them early or have them scrap through when they should be failing. it's unfair on some of these students to be allowed in.

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
So Pete, how'd you go in the PPL essay? Still waiting on mine but a little nervous as one of my old mates from school who is pretty smart only got a P. Jackie said 71% got h1,h2a,h2b or h3 and I would take any of those, so chances look alright but then again you never know... :S

pete shearman

HSC
76 H2A.

I was happy considering she said those who got the highest marks put the most work in (I did an all-nighter on the Monday).

However, 55 people got H1 (13%) and 67 got H2A (16%) meaning that I only placed in the top 29%.

I know what you mean about smart people doing poorly. Two of the xavier guys on national scholarships (both 99.95) scored 75.

I'll aim for an H1 next time.

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
Just got mine back today, H2A as well. Fairly happy with that. I obviously didn't research well enough as I didn't find that textbook from 2007 on the Workchoices case that pretty much gave you the best answer to the topic. I am thinking, looking at the H1 example (by Dave Foster lol) that you had to have had that text to get a H1. Yeh next time get a H1...lol

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
could you guys keep your conversation on MSN please?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)