Class of 2021, do you have any comeback moments during your HSC year? (1 Viewer)

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Grinded 3 months for trials (got cancelled) and continued grinding for HSC. Ended up getting above 90 for everything in the external exams. Internals kinda ruined a few subjects for me tho in the sense that it didn’t match my external marks (still considered good in the whole grand scheme of things). But it goes to show it’s never over until the final exam.
Note: My internal ranks weren’t astounding.

liv888

HSC
During school:
Struggled through the first half of the year, slacked off barely studied- didnt even bother trying my hardest for mid years and then proceeded to stress abt possibilities of not getting a 90+ atar (if you see my first few posts you can see the details of the crisis). Picked myself up during term 3 of y12 got all As in exams. Was counting on trials to pull me up completely...then they were cancelled, all weightings changed and suddenly mid-terms weighed like crazy (40% most of them, compared to mid years 20% and 30%). Realised that it was a big problem.

2 months before hsc:
i decided to put my head down completely and studied 9hrs a day- complete productive studying (with 8/9 hrs of sleep, at least 2 papers a day with proper revision and marking).

The best thing i did was learn HOW TO ANSWER QUESTIONS (no matter how much content you know, if you don't know what the markers are looking for nothing is worth it)

ATAR aim progression/ what it was looking like i'd get
start of y12: 95+
after T1: 85+
after T2 (mid year scare): 77-85
after T3: 85+
after T4 (weighting change): 80s
after HSC: 85-93

safe to say beat my start of year goal. So I'll be honest anything is possible if you put your head down and PRODUCTIVELY study. Just remember HSC is a marathon, not a sprint, there will always be rocky moments but the only thing that matters is if you pick yourself up and to not let the lows get to you.

Hope this gave you inspiration and gl in your studies :D

medaspirant

HSC
During school:
Struggled through the first half of the year, slacked off barely studied- didnt even bother trying my hardest for mid years and then proceeded to stress abt possibilities of not getting a 90+ atar (if you see my first few posts you can see the details of the crisis). Picked myself up during term 3 of y12 got all As in exams. Was counting on trials to pull me up completely...then they were cancelled, all weightings changed and suddenly mid-terms weighed like crazy (40% most of them, compared to mid years 20% and 30%). Realised that it was a big problem.

2 months before hsc:
i decided to put my head down completely and studied 9hrs a day- complete productive studying (with 8/9 hrs of sleep, at least 2 papers a day with proper revision and marking).

The best thing i did was learn HOW TO ANSWER QUESTIONS (no matter how much content you know, if you don't know what the markers are looking for nothing is worth it)

ATAR aim progression/ what it was looking like i'd get
start of y12: 95+
after T1: 85+
after T2 (mid year scare): 77-85
after T3: 85+
after T4 (weighting change): 80s
after HSC: 85-93

safe to say beat my start of year goal. So I'll be honest anything is possible if you put your head down and PRODUCTIVELY study. Just remember HSC is a marathon, not a sprint, there will always be rocky moments but the only thing that matters is if you pick yourself up and to not let the lows get to you.

Hope this gave you inspiration and gl in your studies :D
Damn don't know if it gave the user who posted this inspiration but It sure did to me congrats for beating your start of year goal

Anaya R

HSC
Need inspiration!
Just know it's never too late to turn around your marks.
I got high 60s for my trials, which really freaked me out, especially since I had to get 80s for my dream course.
After getting help from teachers, peers and an outside tutor, I was able to get 83% for my HSC.
Same thing with Music 2. I was at 70s in exams when I got in Year 12; after talking with teachers and doing lots of practice, I got 88 for my final HSC mark.
Make sure you ask for help when you need it - even ask on the forum here!
You got this!! :)

FesuY

HSC
i got 50% of my first english assessment, is a band 5 still possible?

MalaMark04

HSC
i got 50% of my first english assessment, is a band 5 still possible?
Anything is possible to turn around in the HSC - especially when it comes to internals. I got 60% on one of my Modern History assessments and thought I was gonna do awful but ended up pulling a 96 in the HSC - so don't get discouraged, you'll always have externals to do great in.

FesuY

HSC
Anything is possible to turn around in the HSC - especially when it comes to internals. I got 60% on one of my Modern History assessments and thought I was gonna do awful but ended up pulling a 96 in the HSC - so don't get discouraged, you'll always have externals to do great in.
Thats true, but I got 50% despite actually putting effort in the assessment and sending a draft. Im worried about this, cause the teacher who marked my assessment gave me useless feedback that wasnt beneficial, and I feel clueless on what I did wrong.

MalaMark04

HSC
Thats true, but I got 50% despite actually putting effort in the assessment and sending a draft. Im worried about this, cause the teacher who marked my assessment gave me useless feedback that wasnt beneficial, and I feel clueless on what I did wrong.
Don't stress it too much. I was in a very similar position and the teacher I had did WAY more harm to me than good. I'd suggest trying looking for teachers/ex-students who will give you the feedback you need and I'm sure your effort will pay off. For all you know, you might just have a bad teacher and the hsc markers are usually much nicer.

vishnay

God
HSC
welcome to english my friend

despite working as hard as i could for the subject i most hated i ended up with trash internals for the subject bc the stupid bitchy english teachers at my school had no clue what they were doing

i pulled a 94 external (not bc of my shit english teacher who was more or less useless) and all the advice i can give u is try and mimic what the well ranked students do for all ur internal assessments and then ditch that completely and grind essays in ur own style for externals

english is a scam period

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
welcome to english my friend

despite working as hard as i could for the subject i most hated i ended up with trash internals for the subject bc the stupid bitchy english teachers at my school had no clue what they were doing

i pulled a 94 external (not bc of my shit english teacher who was more or less useless) and all the advice i can give u is try and mimic what the well ranked students do for all ur internal assessments and then ditch that completely and grind essays in ur own style for externals

english is a scam period
pure facts

stfg no cap 90% of the english periods mean jack shit because its just random garbage that doesn't even to contribute to assignments, more of a ramble than anything. the only periods that matter are the ones where the teacher talks abt the assignment and most of the time its vague lmao. might be only my exp but thats how i feel

vishnay

God
HSC
pure facts

stfg no cap 90% of the english periods mean shit because its just random garbage that doesn't even to contribute to assignments, more of a ramble than anything. the only periods that matter are the ones where the teacher talks abt the assignment and most of the time its vague lmao.
i dont wanna make this an english rant thread bc we all know how that goes but yes istfg that english only exists so english teachers dont end up unemployed and homeless

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
i dont wanna make this an english rant thread bc we all know how that goes but yes istfg that english only exists so english teachers dont end up unemployed and homeless
bro i wanna say more but this gonna be english rant pt 2 so im gonna save @jimmysmith560 precious time by not turning this into the tangent

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Not really a comeback in terms of during the HSC year but something for future students currently in Year 11 having problems with English and being worried about it messing up their ATAR.

During Year 7 to 10, I never got higher than a B in English at school because I didn't really understand how to study for it or write essays properly. My marks in Year 10 during the first half almost lead to me not getting in to English advanced but I had one good performance late in the year during the yearly exam and somehow got in.

However at this point I was just hoping to get a solid band 5 in English because I thought I was not good enough at the subject to get a band 6 based on year 7-10. First task of year 11 I got an 8/15, even after studying quite hard for it and this was quite disheartening. I was on the path to getting advised to possibly moving to English standard and so I was quite worried at that point hearing about the bad alignment in standard and the impact it might have on my ATAR. Worked really hard for the half yearly exam constantly editing my essay and made a good improvement getting a 26/30 which was somehow the top mark. Came top 3 in the yearly exam and ended the year with a solid top 5 rank.

At this point I was starting to hope for a low band 6 like a 90 or 91, which at that time I would've been over the moon to get. Grinded really hard during Year 12 for english perfecting my essays by constantly re-editing them after each assessment task even when I was ranking 1st in the subject at that point. Kept up that attitude with always trying to improve despite the mark (I was around 6% in front in weighting compared to 2nd place and had got a trial exam mark of 96/105 (which was really good at my school since they never gave out any 20/20 across any assessment task) and still in time between that trial exam and the HSC instead of sticking with those essays that got a great mark I continued to edit things and even rewrote one of my essays from scratch that had got a 14/15. Went into the HSC ranked 1st and hoping for around 93-95, came out with a 97 HSC mark which was a big shock.

A lot of my friends also had similar improvements from being high band 4 to low band 5 students during Year 11 to getting a 90-92 HSC mark in Year 12 so it is possible if you are willing to put in the effort to improve in a subject like english that a lot of students feel lost in and feel it's a big disadvantage to their atar due to it being compulsory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)