class participation-do they actually care? (1 Viewer)

xtrant

HSC
hey,
im thinking about doing law in the future hopefully at unsw but i was just wondering about the above? are they that strict about it?
are there that few people in class that they would know everyones names and if they have talked or not?
and when they say class participation is it just asking questions or actually giving an opinion?
if you could tell me which uni you go to also itd be much appreciated:D
thanks!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
generally yes. CP is normally worth 10-20% of total marks, usually on maximisable or opt-in basis. the actual style of CP is dependent on the teacher. some remember names and run down a list. some just select people who raise hands. it's generally a good idea to keep up with readings and class discussion as most (80-90%) of those marks are easily available.

M@C D@DDY

HSC
I wouldn't be discouraged from attending UNSW simply because they have cp. Everyone begins law school on an almost even basis, so just doing the readings will allow you to form an opinion in class. On occasions and in certain subjects, you can do this without having even done any preparation. From my experience it is a compulsory aspect of all first and second year courses (worth 10-20%). Cp also disappears at about the 4th year mark, because they recognise people have commitments outside of uni.

All in all, I don't like the whole concept, but it's not an obstacle to good marks.

piitb

HSC
CP is great,, but in every calss there are real try hards and unfortunatly you cant get your views in sideways coz "that guy" answers every question even before the tutor finishes asking the question

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Class participation is easy marks. I also don't think the loud mouths are much of a problem, you get more marks for making one or two insightful contributions than running your mouth off for an entire class and stopping other people from contributing. Class participation can be irritating though, and I prefer the flexibility of being able to opt out of most classes if I have work or other commitments.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I disagree with CP marks. In theory they're suppose to encourage everyone to prepare for class and contribute to discussion but often makes people talk for the sake of it.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
neo o said:
Class participation is easy marks. I also don't think the loud mouths are much of a problem, you get more marks for making one or two insightful contributions than running your mouth off for an entire class and stopping other people from contributing.
In one of my classes a loud mouth who made no insightful contribution but merely answered "what were the facts of the case?" questions got the highest mark for class participation. Really silly.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I don't think CP should be discussed on bos you sicko fucks.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I like CP where guys and girls get involved. Girls are often far harder to get participating in some CP, but I find usually once they have started they love it and never want to stop.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
They don't care if you talk or not. CP affects your marks only. They only time where silence is annoying to everyone is if it's a small group and nobody talks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)