Classes of one student (1 Viewer)

Plebeian

I apologise if this has been asked before.

Do classes with only one student simply allocate a #1 rank to that student, irrespective of what marks they achieve in their assessments (assuming they make serious attempts)? If so, does this student then receive his/her own HSC mark as the moderated assessment mark, as usual? This would imply that if you are in a class by yourself, you could simply put in a minimal effort for all your assessments and still be no worse off (apart from experience) than if you put in a large effort and got better marks.

HSC
which raises the question

whats the point of doing assessments in a class of one. Spend all year studying for hsc exam.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
you will still need to send in an assessment mark anyway irrespective of whether you are a class of one or not. you are still getting compared to the state.

or it could be just a form of procedure ;)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Assessments are also in place to help you put effort into the subject throughout the year. If there wasn't any assessment, how many of you would not study until near the exam?

Yes you do receive your HSC exam mark as your assessment mark, but don't take it too lightly and stop studying until the end. Not a good idea!

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
yeah, i'm on my own doing latin at my school (how tragic!) and yes, i've also wondered about the procedure for my assessment mark and whatnot. I've been told by Laz that yes you really do just end up with your hsc mark at the end as your assessment mark. It's sorta like a sudden death thing really. Anyway, i'm happy for the HSC for Latin i get one whole week to study!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
another tech guy, omar?? or are you from another school?

i have a feeling that techie asked the question for you :|

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The above explanations are correct, but you should also remember that in a class of one, your raw school assessment mark would most likely be given a great deal of consideration in the event of an illness or misadventure appeal.

It would be rather unfortunate for a student to focus on the HSC exam all year and then due to circumstances beyond their control be given what is likely to be an undesirable 'estimate' mark because they weren't able to actually sit the exam.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
It's good to have some competition...it motivates you to work harder. If you're intrinsically motivated, however, then a one-student class would be ideal.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
omar from your school in class of 05 ive heard is a great cricket player.

we thought that we'd finally beat your team int eh final in the 04-05 season...but stuff you techas!!!!! :p

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
so...in a class of one your exam mark becomes your moderated assessment mark as well as hsc mark?? damn! so all these assessments i've been doing don't count, and my entire mark rests on my exam result. fantastic.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
starbaaa said:
so...in a class of one your exam mark becomes your moderated assessment mark as well as hsc mark?? damn! so all these assessments i've been doing don't count, and my entire mark rests on my exam result. fantastic.
Pretty much, however it's expected that your assessments will help you to gain a better understanding of the course in preparation for the exam. And as Lazarus said, if you happen to fall ill or anything extraordinary happens and you can't do the HSC exam, BOS will most likely use your internal assessment mark as the basis for your exam mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)